does anyone eat really young rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
I think meat under 8 weeks are really tender. Of course it means much more time spent processing for the same amount of meat.

I usually process at 8 weeks, but once in a while I have litters 4 lbs at 7 weeks and processes them , and they were yummy... but-- can't say I notice much difference between 8 week old rabbits and 7 week old rabbits . - however, there is a big difference between 8 week old rabbits and 12 week old rabbits, -- and even more difference when I was raising for fur, many were 6 + months old at butcher time... those definitely needed to be in brine for a few days prior to eating them.....

I don't like eating em young, it feels like a waste especially since I do lionheads and not meatbuns, but I have done it. Either because they were early culls or because I had space issues due to unforseen circumstances. Takes a few to make a proper meal depending on their sizes. I even had an early 3 week old cull I ate once. It got hurt really badly and I didnt think he'd survive so I culled. It's kinda like eating quail really. Didn't notice too much of a difference in tenderness since I used the slowcooker all the time regardlesst but since I felt guilty everytime. For me, it's not worth it even if there was a difference.

Back