Ho do I achieve a certain color?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyoBunnies

Reaction score
Okay, rabbit genetics confuse me. So I need help.
I would like magpie or Harlequin kits. I have a magpie doe. I have a black buck, blue otter buck, a chestnut buck, a blue chinchilla buck and a broken chestnut buck.
When I bred her to the blue otter I got smoke pearl marten, blue, opal and REW.

Thank you!

i would breed her to the blue chinchilla, keep a son from that litter, preferably one that's harlequinized chinchilla, and pair him back to her or one of his sisters when he's old enough. my genetics knowledge isn't great either but iirc chinchilla and magpie are related gene, so you'd have more success that way. the chestnuts may produce japanese harlequin in the same way.

i have a similar situation in my barn, where i'm taking the long way to produce magpie rex. i bred a magpie to a rew rex, kept a chinchilla son and chinchilla daughter, and have bred the siblings to one another a few times and had great results. so far no magpie rex, but i've gotten blue, black, rew, chinchilla, and blue chin/squirrel kits in both coats so far so it's only a matter of time before the genetics line up :)

I was also thinking the Chin. Thank you!

shazza":2xdutqsg said:
i would breed her to the blue chinchilla, keep a son from that litter, preferably one that's harlequinized chinchilla, and pair him back to her or one of his sisters when he's old enough. my genetics knowledge isn't great either but iirc chinchilla and magpie are related gene, so you'd have more success that way. the chestnuts may produce japanese harlequin in the same way.

i have a similar situation in my barn, where i'm taking the long way to produce magpie rex. i bred a magpie to a rew rex, kept a chinchilla son and chinchilla daughter, and have bred the siblings to one another a few times and had great results. so far no magpie rex, but i've gotten blue, black, rew, chinchilla, and blue chin/squirrel kits in both coats so far so it's only a matter of time before the genetics line up :)

Back