What color is this?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Havana

Reaction score
My friend in my 4-H club just bred two red mini satins, and got a litter of 6 or 7 reds and then bred one of the bucks back to the mom. They got 4 babies, 1 red and 3 mystery colors. I have been trying to figure it genetically but all the colors on the parent's pedigrees are all red except one broken black and one white in the 4th generation back (bred together to get a red). Thank you! (I'm not sure how to attach a picture? I attached a link, hopefully, it works!) :pancake:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JMwhRfsLfYjdWeCW9

Dood":3hbsek63 said:
Dilute/blue reds or possibly lilac reds (AKA chocolate and dilute/blue)
Thank you- however, I don't think they are chocolates or lilacs, but what do you mean about blue reds or lilac reds? I've never heard of those?

Dilute of red. Usually called cream. Called fawn in some breeds with brighter colors (mini satin might fit under that). There's no official name as they're not a recognized color in the US.
They're sometimes called blue or lilac reds to say whether they're a blue base or lilac base under the cream (normal reds are black or chocolate base)

SableSteel":1s6x9qsg said:
Dilute of red. Usually called cream. Called fawn in some breeds with brighter colors (mini satin might fit under that). There's no official name as they're not a recognized color in the US.
They're sometimes called blue or lilac reds to say whether they're a blue base or lilac base under the cream (normal reds are black or chocolate base)

Thank you! That makes so much more sense! I do have another question though, I was looking at the genetics of a red, and from what I found, they can only be black based? So what would the chocolate based red be?

Reds can also be chocolate based.
Black based reds are more common simply because black based rabbits are more common, but there are some red lines that have had chocolate bred in to "clean up" the color (as chocolate colored smut is harder to see against a red background)

Latest posts

Back