Sprouting vs. Fodder and Fermenting

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I read an article on a chicken board that said sprouting (~4 days growth and under 4") produced just as much Digestible Mass (DM) as fodder (~7 days growth and over 4") and says both make a complete feed out of grain. With all of the problems people have with mold and extra work like rinsing with bleach water to avoid mold it seems sprouts would be just as good as fodder and easier. So I wanted to get comments on that since it seems only fodder is mentioned on this board.

I wonder could you sprout corn and get a good feed? I only see traditional grains mentioned for sprouting like wheat and oats.

The other thing I wonder about is fermented feed. At least for chickens it seems fermenting is comparable to the benefits of sprouting. They say feed goes twice as far which makes sense if the DM is improved like happens with sprouting/fodder. The fermenting process is much easier than sprouting, just rinse and put it in a jar covered with water for ~3 days. So is fermenting no good for rabbits?

Thanks,
Allen

Latest posts

Back