Where to find 14 gauge, 1 x .5 cage wire???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
michaels4gardens":2tsnnj9l said:
did you call Sparr hardware? I used to get mine there

I looked at their website and didn't see it so I filled out their contact/question page and they should call me back with a no. :lol:

All I need is 16 feet of the stuff!!!

With a 4 by 4 cage, I really want the 14 gauge if I can find it. Its easier on the feets and will take the load across the area.

Who is it that uses electrical conduit for flooring? I remember someone mentioning it so I looked at the price and golly, its even more pricy.

michaels4gardens":1pclcpwf said:
I use 1/2 inch emt ,$2.28 for a 10 foot piece[at lowes , and it is cheaper if bought in a 10 pack] so I get 5, 2 foot pieces from each stick. that is almost two 10 foot pieces per lin foot.

Ah :oops: so that was you! My brain is not working lately. :lol:

How do you secure it? Half inch spacing?

I drill 3/4 inch holes 3/4 deep, in a treated 2x4 with 9/16 " space between holes, when done I put a piece of metal flashing over the exposed 2x4 so they can't chew it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180206_123725.jpg
    IMG_20180206_123725.jpg
    674.2 KB · Views: 2,262
  • IMG_20181011_135354.jpg
    IMG_20181011_135354.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 2,261
Ah, very clear from both your description and the pictures, thank you!

Shall toy with how to tie that into both existing cages and the reuse of the huge cage I found tossed onto the side of the road which sparked off this project in the first place.

Well, that and my trying to give every bunny more room.

How do you cut that conduit?

GBov":2ju3cd1v said:
Ah, very clear from both your description and the pictures, thank you!

Shall toy with how to tie that into both existing cages and the reuse of the huge cage I found tossed onto the side of the road which sparked off this project in the first place.

Well, that and my trying to give every bunny more room.

How do you cut that conduit?

I use a sawzall with a metal blade

I've found small rolls of it from time to time at my local Lowes. I've never seen it on their web site though. :?: Been a long time but think it was made by Blue Hawk.

Michael, does that hydraulic oil keep them "running" smoothly? :roll:

Homer":27638e3d said:
I've found small rolls of it from time to time at my local Lowes. I've never seen it on their web site though. :?: Been a long time but think it was made by Blue Hawk.

Michael, does that hydraulic oil keep them "running" smoothly? :roll:

:) Homer... poor folks got poor ways,
.. it was the only "UV resistant" bucket I had that was in good condition, .. so I just scrubbed it out good with dawn dish soap, and made an "automatic watering system"..

Klubertanz Equipment is a good source for cage wire. They actually carry quite a few rolls of wire in the 14g thickness.

MR Tatt":3qfpzao7 said:
Klubertanz Equipment is a good source for cage wire. They actually carry quite a few rolls of wire in the 14g thickness.

Thank you! I went with reused wire in one cage and TSC wire in the other. TSC is crap but it should hold up well enough where I used it.

NEXT time, I will get better wire but for now, needs must when the devil drives and that job at least is done.

You're very welcome. I know my suggestion was going to be a bit late. Yet figured this way if anybody is searching for the same thing at least I listed another option. 16g seems to be almost everywhere, yet 14g is a tough thing to find most times.

grumpy":33xwowt4 said:
http://www.klubertanz.com
Has been in business for decades...
14 gauge G.A.W. is pricey but will last 5 times longer than the cheaper wire.
Grumpy.

I love building to last but sometimes, cheaper has to do. :(

Back