Mittens and a question about felting

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimitsuKouseki

Reaction score
K first, what do you guys know about felting? I've been wondering if felting some of my angora fluff would be any good compared to spinning it. Is it as warm? will it hold up? how does it feel on the skin vs knits or crochets? Just wondering cause it might be fun to try it to make fabric of a different look. One that I could even sew with my sewing machines since I'm a seamstress. I'm allergic to sheep wool so I've never been able to wear felt or knitted stuff before (unless it was cotton) so I have no point of referance.

Second, my father has been asking me for mittens for a long time time and I finally got around to starting em. I made the pattern from scratch since I like using both crochet and knitting. Main part is crochet for strength and warmth and wrist is knitted for strech and comfort. Also, when researching I found that most patterns make the thumb last by cutting the yarn but I didnt do that, the thumb was done at the same time. I only cut the thread when it was completly finished.
I've only made the left one so far and my notes are loooong for when I wanna make the other one.
:explanation:

Just wanted to share what it looked like.
o0cs4j.jpg

33fgbih.jpg

Zass":14ggzsc1 said:
http://iagarb.com/articles-2/wool-crafting/felting-with-angora/
I don't have much experience with felting angora, but I always wanted to try. I found this lovely article.
bookmarked! thanks Zass. They even explain how to do it wich is great! I'm not sure what I'll make yet, but if I try it I'll definetly share what I learn.

I don't have a lot of personal experience, I'm not a great felter....

BUT! During my Arizona trip to pick up my French Angora stock from SixGun, we visited the Bisbee Fibre Guild, and I met a man there who was felting hats out of angora that he received from SixGun.

My impression was that when properly worked by someone of his calibre it made a nice, firm felt with a really silky handle. :)

Also, it makes really good felt balls in my dryer every time I wash my "Barn Clothes"!! :lol:

(Edit: Spelling of "wash")

A friend makes felted slippers by knitting them really big to begin with and then shrinking them to fit. Not sure how much angora would shrink in relationship to how much sheep's wool shrinks, but you could make a test square, measure it, toss it in the washer and then measure what comes out. Then make whatever you want to felt that much bigger than you want it to end up.

AFAIK, nobody cuts the yarn to put the thumbs on hand knit/crocheted mittens. At least, not if they're handmade. A commercial manufacturer would probably make seams instead of knitting or crocheting them in.

Latest posts

Back