Register

The Nest Box 2019

Discussions and questions about how best to keep your breeding program running smoothly.
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 200.00

Re: The Nest Box 2019

Post Number:#16  Unread postby dfr1973 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:29 pm

Nymphadora wrote:Fingers crossed for healthy litters, dfr1973! :good-luck:

And the same to you! :bunnyhop:

The following user would like to thank dfr1973 for this post
Nymphadora

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 910.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby hotzcatz » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:44 am

First litter of the year on Jan. 7th.

I should have some more pictures of the second litter, but don't have them online yet. I'd thought the doe was due on the 31st of January and when I went to check her nest box, there were eyeballs staring back at me! She'd had hers ten days earlier so she had already been bred when she accepted the later buck. I'd always thought they wouldn't do that if they were already pregnant. But, there were four baby bunnies in her box, eyes open and ears up already. Some of the fattest little ones, too, so she's doing great as a first time mom.

We may have gotten the lack of litters thing figured out now. Woot!
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

The following user would like to thank hotzcatz for this post
Nymphadora

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,850.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby shazza » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:04 pm

gave my three girls their nestboxes yesterday...haven't seen a haystash and honestly considering i had to force every fall-off i'm not that hopeful. i have another doe due on the 22nd that was also a force. nobody wants to cooperate right now and it's frustrating because all four of these does are either old and need to produce their replacements, or virgin does who need to be bred before they get fat

if all of these does ended up taking......i'm gonna be drowning in rabbits. i might end up nestbox culling some to use as snake food x:
standard rex, harlequin, meat/fur mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

The following user would like to thank shazza for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 848.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Shea » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:21 pm

:bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:
2 healthy litters born early on the 7th!!!! No issues and the weather cooperated for once. Had 40° temps for 3 days!
20190207_163515.jpg
20190207_163515.jpg (117.72 KiB) Viewed 99 times

Nice litter of 6 from my meat doe. 3 dilute, 2 agouti, and 1 rew.

20190207_164217.jpg
20190207_164217.jpg (122.33 KiB) Viewed 99 times

And 8 fom my satin! I GOT SOLIDS!!! Whohooo! 3 solid, 3 agouti, and 2 dilutes! I was not expecting this new buck to carry self at all. It means either my herd sire has been hiding it for over a year or more likely the rew dam to my new buck carries it.

-- Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:21 pm --

Well that was unfortunate. I came home from work to my whole litter of meat buns froze to death. :( The weather shifted last night with a brutal wind blowing through. I had turned the nest box out of the wind. But . . .yeah that must not have helped enough.

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,850.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby shazza » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:36 pm

all three of my litters were a bust and i'm not hopeful for the one coming in a couple weeks :( tossed all the does in with bucks this morning and they lifted sky-high, so....fingers crossed for march babies? these girls really need to get on the ball.
standard rex, harlequin, meat/fur mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,219.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby Nymphadora » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:48 am

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear your litter didn't make it in the cold, Shea. :cry: This winter storm has been troublesome at best.

Shazza, I'm right along with you. A bunch of young does I don't want getting fat and 1 old gal that I'd love one more replacement out of. And it's been a right circus getting them to breed. :x

I also feel like I should apologize for disappearing right around the time we were expecting kits... We did have 1 litter born last week (yay!), but I also started a new job last week and as such haven't been checking in on the forums as much as I like. Much less posting responses. :oops:

So, on to the happy: Lisanna had a litter of 9 and they were all warm and wiggling when I checked on them! They're still all doing well, although two are on the small side (I'm keeping an eye on them and if they don't seem to be getting enough milk I'll pull some of the biggest kits out for a night). This was the second time I bred her to our original herd buck, Odin, and we had a surprise red show up in the nestbox. I was unaware either parent carried nonextension! :P The rest are castors and opals, like the previous litter, so I'm thinking our girl doesn't carry any recessives on the A locus (I know Odin carries self). We'll keep test breeding to make sure. :mrgreen:

Oh, and :congratulations: to everyone else's piles of popples! The photos never get old! :D

-- Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:48 pm --

Here are Lisanna's kits! :oops:

The wiggly pile on the first morning.
IMG_20190206_213610_376.jpg
Lisanna x Odin 2.6.19
IMG_20190206_213610_376.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 85 times

The little booted red baby.
20190212_214021.jpg
Surprise kit
20190212_214021.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 85 times

I love all the booted brokens I get from this cross... pity I can't show them, but they're so lovely it's hard to be upset. :D
20190212_213945.jpg
Booted broken kits
20190212_213945.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 85 times

The following user would like to thank Nymphadora for this post
Homer, MaggieJ, michaels4gardens

BunnyBucks: 371.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby bunny love » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:44 pm

These are my newest litters of french lops. My first second generation litter and I finally got some solid blues. :P
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (12).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (12).jpg (308.4 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (13).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (13).jpg (130.63 KiB) Viewed 61 times

The following user would like to thank bunny love for this post
MaggieJ, michaels4gardens

Post Number:#23  Unread postby dfr1973 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:02 am

Big happenings here:
chicks started hatching in the incubator yesterday (Gold-laced Wyandottes)
a nanny goat is showing all the signs of imminent kidding
my maiden bunny girl Lacey had a mouthful of fur when I went to feed her breakfast half an hour ago! I just gave her a handful of pine shavings for her nestbox (which still doesn't have fur in it yet, but she must have just pulled her first clump of fur when I went to feed her) and she is panting like she's in labor. Will check on her in an hour. This is day 31 for her, so right on her mama's schedule. I'll probably wait a few days to take pics, her being a first-timer and all. Don't want the flash to upset her (and nothing will show without the flash in her cubby).

To top it all off, I have garden starts to transplant also.
:popcorn:

ETA: bunnylove, congrats on the solid blues! I adore the blue color in all its forms.

====UPDATE!====
SIX! She had a six-pack! All live, wriggly good-sized squirmy-wormies, but the possible colors have me scratching my head. She made me wait nearly all day ... I was starting to wonder if she was going to do like my mini, Gracie (no relation) who started pulling fur 2-1/2 days before kindling last time. Nope, cool as a cucumber last time I checked, in fact she gave me the "You better have a treat for me this time!" look. Still cool as a cucumber when I fed her the evening hay, but I glanced into the cubby to see if she made a nest yet, and there they were on the "baby-saver" floor. As I picked them up and put them into the nestbox, I was pleased they were all warm enough. Then I gathered up as much loose fur as I could and covered them up. Hopefully, she gets the idea. The good news is we are in a warm spell down here, and it's forecast to last the weekend.

====Update 2====
I am very happy to report that first-time mother Lacey is caring for her six pack. I was a little worried yesterday when they looked a bit thin, but gave her 5 raspberry leaves in case her milk hadn't come in quick enough. Checking them last night showed she had fed them, but they weren't as fat as I would like ... but this morning there was more fur in the nest box, and when I picked up the smallest that kit was FAT and I could see the white splotch in the belly to show even the smallest was well-fed now. I told Lacey I was proud of her, which made hubby chuckle as he overheard me.

Lacey's mom Brooke is next up, with her day 31 being Wednesday. She was bred to Lacey and MaryAnn's sire Larry (the SCF's pet).

In other critter news, I had another great hatch, with 34 live chicks coming out of the incubator. My little nanny goat, Maggie, is still the proverbial broad side of the barn, but technically she's due this week although especially with NDs and ND crosses, there is a +/- of 5 days either way.

MaggieJ, michaels4gardens, Nymphadora

United States of America

Post Number:#24  Unread postby Nymphadora » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:14 am

Congratulations, dfr1973! :P

It sounds like Lacey's gonna be a good mom, and you've got tons of baby animals to play with! I've got Golden Laced Wyandottes on my wishlist as well, so kudos on the hatching! :oops:

Post Number:#25  Unread postby dfr1973 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:43 am

Nymphadora wrote:I've got Golden Laced Wyandottes on my wishlist as well

If you want some nice triple purpose chickens (good at laying, males good for meat, and they all look good while doing it) drop me a line and we can work something out. I know express shipping across the country gets a tad pricey, so if you are willing to wait until I get my line stabilized - maybe 3-5 years - shipping will be all you'll need to pay.

(If this does not make sense, I can clarify later after the coffee jolt wears off. Maybe I'll be able to type properly then.)

Nymphadora

United States of America

Post Number:#26  Unread postby Nymphadora » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:12 pm

dfr1973 wrote:
Nymphadora wrote:I've got Golden Laced Wyandottes on my wishlist as well

If you want some nice triple purpose chickens (good at laying, males good for meat, and they all look good while doing it) drop me a line and we can work something out. I know express shipping across the country gets a tad pricey, so if you are willing to wait until I get my line stabilized - maybe 3-5 years - shipping will be all you'll need to pay.

(If this does not make sense, I can clarify later after the coffee jolt wears off. Maybe I'll be able to type properly then.)

I've been researching chickens for years now, I think I can be patient for another 3-5. ;) :lol:

Maybe I'll just start off with a few Eager Eggers and a Welsummer in the next year or two, that way when your line is established I'll be looking for some fresh birds to replace older layers, anyway. :mrgreen:

Post Number:#27  Unread postby dfr1973 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:41 pm

I was thinking just that: get some birds locally and use them to practice and work out the problems and general logistics. Once you get chicks, you will quickly learn just how many predators you actually have Don't forget about aerial predators: I lost a Wyandotte chick to a hawk earlier this year, and I suspect I've lost a couple hens over the years to a large owl (seriously, we saw it once - at least a five foot wingspan).

This has been such a busy weekend here. I did get the garden starts planted, but didn't get to putting seeds in the ground as I planned. Today, we went to get our second deluxe hutch, and a new stud bunny, unimaginatively named Dutch-Boy. My friend got him for free from someone who couldn't keep her rabbits anymore, but they don't need another stud, so they were just going to eat him even though my friend said it would be a shame since he has such a nice solid meaty body. I told her if my other friend doesn't want him, then I want him to add body to mine. So hutch and Dutch-Boy came home and were set up.

Just got in from evening chores, and I have a new goat kid. Except it wasn't Maggie - she's still huge. Nope, Cocoa Puff, who I figured had another week or two, had a large, healthy, and very cutely-marked girl, right before we went out for chores because the little one wasn't dried off yet.

Chicks, kits, and kids, oh my!

michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,836.00

Post Number:#28  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:40 pm

i like to cross Golden , or silver Laced Wyandottes, over rhode island red.. gives a meaty rooster, and great laying hen...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Post Number:#29  Unread postby dfr1973 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:43 pm

Shalimar pulled fur yesterday, on day 17. :wall: I guess this cross isn't meant to be this spring. She filled the nestbox this time, too ... I was checking under all that fur to see if I made a mistake. I'll give her a couple days, then see if she's ready to rock 'n' roll on Friday morning. I think I'll put her in with Dutch-Boy ... he ought to be settled in enough for that. :bunnyhop:

Oh, Michael, I haven't seen any decent (old-fashioned) type RIRs down here. I used to live up in Clarksville (hubby was still at Ft Campbell) and would have needed to travel to get some up thataway. What I am crossing my GLW roosters with are Isa Brown hen and red sex link hens. Right now I have one definite pullet from the GLW-ISA cross.

====UPDATE!====
Maggie finally kidded, and she had triplets, all boys. One appears to be polled like his mamma and gramma, and that is also the one who greedily takes the bottle. My friends were hoping either Maggie or Molly would have a polled boy who would take the bottle, and it looks like they've gotten their wish. Their billy, whom I named Harry Houdini as a kid, is developing quite the attitude, along with living up to his name and then some. The reason he is still alive at this point is that he is the son of my best milker, Prim, who has now officially passed the 24 month mark on continuous milking.

michaels4gardens, Nymphadora

Previous