How do I start a garden?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Before I start, I've linked everything below.

So, I've never started my own garden, I have no clue where to start and last year everything I grew died after it sprouted. This year I plan to start over with all new everything, but I have no clue how much to get, what brands are better than what and where I can get best prices. I was looking to use some form of these to start the plants (1.) and then possibly move them into the bigger version of this (2.) and then the goal is to grow them in straw bales and have the bales somehow wrapped in chicken wire so I can keep pesky chickens as out of my plants as possible. I'm also up against a pesky grape vine that won't die (it hasn't grew a grape to ripeness in years, now it just sucks all the nutrients out of the ground and competes for root space with my mint and raspberries (Any advice on how to kill a grape vine would be great as well, I can't dig it up as it's main roots are on the opposite side of the fence but the entire plant itself is on my side. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Oh, before I forget, I know I was supposed to have cut back my raspberry plant but I didn't because I never got anyone to tell me how much, it's currently covered about 6 inches up the stem in leaves cause it's been so cold and there was a few green bits starting to poke out near the base. I do plan to dig up and separate all my raspberries this year as well.

(1.) https://www.amazon.com/Jiffy-Profession ... ooghydr-20

(2.)https://www.amazon.com/Peat-Plant-Starters-Seedling-Starter/dp/B06XFZ4CTC/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?hvadid=176956366746&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9010285&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=6477191601035210876&hvtargid=kwd-11944130614&keywords=plant+starter+trays&qid=1549728732&s=gateway&sr=8-3-spons&tag=googhydr-20&psc=1

I would ask if I could grow the plants in (2.) but I don't think I have anything I could set those peat pots in.

Not absolutely sure ,but I remember Lowe's having those kits for half that price last week.

I use potting soil and 6x6 seedling inserts, [72 to a tray] then I transplant the seedlings into a larger [4" x4"] slot if i need to. It is too cold here to have them outside yet. [took all of mine inside last night]

Buttons, you need a good basic gardening book to start. Go to your library and ask the librarian for help selecting a few. When you find one that is really, really good, then consider purchasing a copy. Used book can be bought very reasonably from abebooks.com -- I buy nearly all my books there. Many of the Rodale gardening books are good.

Start with the soil. What kind you have to start with and how you can amend it to make a better garden. Most soils need lots of organic matter added: compost, manure (bunny berries are excellent) etc. Some soils are too acid (sour) or too alkaline (sweet) and need to be amended. A good gardening book will explain this in more detail.

If your soil is good, growing anything is much easier.

Something like this might work for you. You can find copies as low as $5 used. But try your library first.
Rodale's Basic Organic Gardening: A Beginner's Guide to Starting a Healthy Garden

Good luck! :good-luck:

@MaggieJ Once I have my own property I'll definitely do more soil research, for now, I'm trying to do anything that keeps me from having to plant my plants in the ground. I've got a mix of invasive plants, and lack of space, so I really wanna do the straw bale garden like this, https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/wp-con ... 00x300.jpg I will however look up videos and books on straw bale gardens as it looks like there's a good bit to learn.

@micheals4gardens Sounds like I missed a sale, I'll look around once I have the money to start my garden (I'll probably be starting a bit late this year as I'm not financially prepared) I'll keep in mind 72 seed cell and 4x4 slot. Sounds like I really do have a lot to learn. My mom always bought plants from a local greenhouse, maybe I should do that this year to save both money and time and next year I can start my own seeds and feel a bit more prepared

Latest posts

Back