Backyard Breeders! I need your help STAT!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
long story short, I can't sell 2 rabbits and need to make room for the next litter. Both are females and are 8 weeks old so still young. I normally have offers exploding and people from all over coming but we only got canceled, 1 canceled and the others seem to have vanished off the face of the earth. I only advertise on craigslist and feed store billboards I AM GETTING DESPERATE! any ideas???? :x :x :x ;) :( :shock: :bunnyhop:

C/L is jacked up right now. When you click the "reply" button to get the posters, you, email or phone you will get an error. Put your email or phone number in using words eight88-eight88-123four etc. That way their bots don't catch it and you can do the same with email, TonyTigerdotcom.

I found out last night after several other forum searches as well as their own, this error is happening to thousands of people. Their bot is auto blocking peoples IP address' as a false positive in an effort to stop spam bots. C/L has a huge problem with their site being spammed with phony ads and offers all trying to phish for email addys and phone numbers. I'll change my IP and turn on a new modem later today and see if that stops the error. :x

When I'm in this situation I compromise. I dunno if you eat your rabbits, but it's one way to solve the issue. What's sad is when the younglings are still small like that, it feels like a waste I know, but if it has to be done then just treat them like quails vs chicken. It's smaller but just cook both at the same time. If you can't bring yourself to do it, another emergency thing I do is set up my sħower as a spare cage with a litter. Even if they're not clean right away the shower is easy to wash. Since mine has solid walls and not curtains it works well as a temp cage. I block the drain with a plank and let the fan run 24/7, it's nescessary because the shower wont provide enough airflow without it wich will be bad for their health. But bonus, you can add that they're already litter trained to your add that way.

As for CL, it doesnt exist here but peopler have the very bad habbit of not reading the description over here so I edit the pictures to add a tag with the nescessary info on it

Just call me weird, but I raise mine for the pet market too. But I have a rule that whoever doesnt sell by the time I need the space ends up on a plate. I'm not a refuge and I can't justify breeding more babies if I dont have a contengencie plan for those. Remember the older they are, as they aproach adulthood 5months and up, they become much harder to sell. So either I don't breed more litters until everyone prior sold or use another solution. Giving out bunnies for free isnt a good solution cause most likelly they'll end up as snake food and sending em to an animal refuse is just plain irresponsible as a breeder in my opinion. So I'd rather they ended up on my own plate after all this is said. But I know I'm a weirdo, this is just the philosophy of how I run my rabbitry.

KimitsuKouseki":ham4h2zx said:
Just call me weird, but I raise mine for the pet market too. But I have a rule that whoever doesnt sell by the time I need the space ends up on a plate. I'm not a refuge and I can't justify breeding more babies if I dont have a contengencie plan for those.

Kimitsu, there is nothing weird about what you're doing. In my books, you are being a very responsible rabbit breeder by eating your unsaleable rabbits. :goodjob:

MaggieJ":12iygs9l said:
KimitsuKouseki":12iygs9l said:
Just call me weird, but I raise mine for the pet market too. But I have a rule that whoever doesnt sell by the time I need the space ends up on a plate. I'm not a refuge and I can't justify breeding more babies if I dont have a contengencie plan for those.

Kimitsu, there is nothing weird about what you're doing. In my books, you are being a very responsible rabbit breeder by eating your unsaleable rabbits. :goodjob:

I agree with MaggieJ … and that's very similar to how I've always done it. Cant have popples if you don't have a place for them … I detest dispatching but sometimes it's got to be done. Its better than letting them go , ending up as dog or snake food or sending them to a shelter.

Getting great hides from Rex is a bonus ...

Does your local feed store have an advertising board? Many of them have bulletin boards for folks to post sales of livestock.

I have a friend or two who have rabbit recipes so we never have excess livestock, they even buy the bunnies, although at recipe prices and not pet prices

You should always have a backup plan for the babies you produce - if you're not willing to eat them or let them go as snake/dog food, then you should have enough cages for all of them in case you can't sell. That's just part of being a responsible breeder. I remember us warning that the pet market was often hit or miss with whether or not people are looking to buy and this sounds like you've reached a slow spot. Maybe you need to step back and reevaluate your breeding program - finding a local mentor (especially if you find somebody to help you get into showing which would be another market for potential kits) might be the best way to progress, as they can help give you advice in situations like this or the other urgent issues you come to rabbittalk with.

Latest posts

Back