Is this a dandelion? [solved]

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost

Reaction score
Is this a dandelion, and if not what do you call it?

I live in Texas zone 8, and there a common weed that grows well around here, I have been calling it dandelion. Doing a Google search, I don't think it really is a dandelion. There does not seem to be any true dandelions growing around here. Whatever the mystery weed is, rabbits and guinea pigs will eat it like crazy.

I have always associated dandelions with flowers that open twice. The first time they open with yellow flowers, then close after a few days. The second time they open white with seeds that are blown in the wind. The mystery weed shares that characteristic with dandelions.
dandelion-2.jpg

The plant I usually see the flowers on is a tall plant with spiky leaves and a thick juicy stem. The main stem has branches and many flower heads. Even with spikes that can scratch human skin, rabbits and guinea pigs are not deterred by the spiky leaves, they eat leaves, stems and flowers.
dandelion-1.jpg

Anyone know what this plant is?

edit: solved

The most comon dandelions dont have spiky leaves and grow kinda like a carrot, each leaves come out directly from the root with no main shaft stem. But there are cousins to the dandelion for sure. I have 3 kinds here, the normal dandelion, one that grows like a carrot but has spiky leaves and the one from your pictures. Not sure the names myself but they are cousins for sure

Yes, prickly sow-thistle. It is a safe rabbit food and most of them love it. The spines don't seem to bother them at all. Phase it in if they're not used to eating it, the same as you would any new food.

There are other sow-thistles that looks a bit different. If you google Texas weeds you should be able to find a site with pictures and Latin names. The plants listed in the Safe Plants for Rabbit sticky will help you with identification.

Latest posts

Back