Large capacity feeders

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could make some plans of my new gen feeders for you if you'd like. The cage is a 3X3X4 btw so that gives you an idea of the size.
The feeders I used to have were made of pvc and I had issues with babies crawling out from the feeder top or squirrels eating the pellets so there's a mesh inside to block them. If you dont have squirrel issues you could fill em all the way or you could add a lid on em. (squirrels would've just chewed though a lid unless it was made of mesh and I didnt want to have to deal with removing the lid everytime on all my feeders so I didnt bother)
The final version is a tiny bit different from this prototype but it's still very similar
The newest version switches the back wall and the ramp. Now the mesh is on the ramp section and the back wall is half wood half mesh. The extended ramp section with the wire mesh allows almost all dust to fall out even more then normal Jfeeders.

Please excuse the blurryness and spiderwebs of this prototype, I don't have pictures of the newest version at the moment x.x
i1md8x.jpg

wvdafd.jpg

Thanks! Those pictures are good enough for me to see how you made your feeder. I could also just make the top funnel part and attach it to my already purchased j-feeders. I hadn't thought of that on my own! :)

glad I could help ^^ I do recommend making the ramp out of mesh it helps a ton with the dust Ill take some pic of the newest versions today for you <br /><br /> -- Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:53 pm -- <br /><br /> Insted of pics I just made a very short video if you'd like to take a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyU19zoI1h4

michaels4gardens":ktilo3ak said:
JMHO, --i have had troubles with coccidiosis in the past, I don't use wood anywhere rabbits can chew, or lick it.
Nerver had the issue myself, but I can see why that'd be a worry. I clean the cage with a torch at least once a year btw, helps burn the nasty stuff water just wont take away. This cage doesnt have burn marks yet cause it's just a few months old XD
Just making a funnel to add on to a pre-existing J frame shouldn't be a problem I think. Besides given the budget one could make em out of plexiglass also.

In our area (Hawaii) we have too much humidity for large capacity feeders to work. The feed was mildewing before they got a chance to eat it. Hopefully your climate will be better suited!

We built big feeders into the hutches.

bighutch2.jpg

The unpainted wood parts with the white knobs on the upper level are the big feeders and on the lower level they don't have the white knobs and are painted green so they blend in. There's movable chute made from a bit of rain gutter used to load the feeders.

Feeder under construction
bigfeed2.jpg

This picture is when the feeders were under construction. The flap at the top of the front edge facing the camera flips inwards so feed can be poured in.

They worked well other than the feed mildewing because of our humidity. There was also a screen installed at the bottom to keep small bunnies from burrowing through to the other side.

That’s a good point about humidity and mold! Fortunately where I live we only get 25” rain annually and the humidity is usually below 20%.

Your set up is impressive! I like that your feeders go into two cages simultaneously. Very efficient.

Cool feeders! I may do something like that myself as I'm currently starting a major renovation of the colony. I like individual feeders so I can see if a rabbit is off it's feed and I know if they may be sick. The screen to allow the dust to fall out is a great idea, with my current j-feeders I have to empty them out once in a while due to dust buildup, not sure if my feed is extra dusty but the holes in the bottom of the feeders are not nearly enough to let the dust out.

My colony is made primarily of wood which gives them something to chew on constantly and I replace any sections from time to time that get too chewed. No escapees yet. I think my rabbits are pretty hardy from being outside in the environment and I haven't had any issues with disease as of yet.

Truckinguy":1z2od7tm said:
The screen to allow the dust to fall out is a great idea, with my current j-feeders I have to empty them out once in a while due to dust buildup, not sure if my feed is extra dusty but the holes in the bottom of the feeders are not nearly enough to let the dust out.
Dunno if you checked it, but look at the youtube video from a couple posts ago. You'll be able to tell how much the mesh ramp helps with dust. I had the dust issue in all types of feeders I had before and Im rly happy with it. Whats more if it does build up a little I just shake the pellets around a tiny bit and it all falls down easilly. The holes on my previous ones weren't efficient enough so I had to take it out by hand wasting some pellets at the same time.

I could make some plans of my new gen feeders for you if you'd like. The cage is a 3X3X4 btw so that gives you an idea of the size.
The feeders I used to have were made of pvc and I had issues with babies crawling out from the feeder top or squirrels eating the pellets so there's a mesh inside to block them. If you dont have squirrel issues you could fill em all the way or you could add a lid on em. (squirrels would've just chewed though a lid unless it was made of mesh and I didnt want to have to deal with removing the lid everytime on all my feeders so I didnt bother)
The final version is a tiny bit different from this prototype but it's still very similar
The newest version switches the back wall and the ramp. Now the mesh is on the ramp section and the back wall is half wood half mesh. The extended ramp section with the wire mesh allows almost all dust to fall out even more then normal Jfeeders.

Please excuse the blurryness and spiderwebs of this prototype, I don't have pictures of the newest version at the moment x.x
i1md8x.jpg

wvdafd.jpg
Well, this post is old enough that your photos have disappeared. Can you please upload them again? I'm curious what you did. If you use the 'photo' button at the top of the compose area, the photos will not disappear :(

Thanks!

- Liz

Back