Register

Mixing furs for spinning, or selling directly as fiber?

Keeping rabbits for their wool and methods of using it.
BunnyBucks: 235.00

Mixing furs for spinning, or selling directly as fiber?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby LunarFantom » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:47 pm

Weird question but, I hear angora fur, while super soft and warm, tends to not hold its shape when spun/knitted into products. Would combining it with a different rabbit fur such as silver fox fix this problem or would it be better to sell the fiber raw until I have a sheep or goat to join the production line?

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,138.00

Re: Mixing furs for spinning, or selling directly as fiber?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Nymphadora » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:24 am

As a spinner, I actually haven't had any trouble spinning straight angora. The issue (if it should even be called that) with angora is that the hair shafts are relatively smooth and straight compared to sheep's wool. This makes the fibers more slick to spin and there's less bounce-back or spring to the final yarn because angora doesn't have crimp like sheep wool. It does have a lovely halo, though, and it is very warm!

Your idea for mixing it with silver fox fur would not help resolve this issue, in part because it's equally slick but also because silver fox rabbits are not a wool breed and therefore lack the staple length required to feasibly spin the wool into yarn. To introduce crimp into an angora yarn, blending it with sheep's wool or something similar is probably the best bet.

Good luck!

The following user would like to thank Nymphadora for this post
averydeadbird

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 9,775.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby ohiogoatgirl » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:43 am

Angora is a fiber that drapes. The way the individual fibers itself are shaped and act. Wool is shaped and acts differently that gives it spring and bounce-back. Different breeds have varying amounts of spring. Breeding won't change that. But it is easily remedied by blending the angora fiber with wool. And since angora is so warm it isn't something people are apt to make 100% angora yarn for hats etc. Stuff that is 100% angora is open and drapey items like lace shawls. So blending with wool isn't really an issue overall.

The simple answer would be that hair fibers don't have spring. Alpaca, angora, mohair are all hair fibers.

If you are looking at what to market... Some people want to buy angora fiber for their own decisions of blending or spinning itself. Some people want to buy blended rovings with angora in it. Where are you located? If you are already looking for spinners then you should try to find a spinners (etc) guild near you. Some might be interested in the angora fiber. If you are interested in pursuing other fiber animals they will be able to help direct you to local breeders. You could buy wool from farms and have it milled and blended with your angora. Your biggest issue there will probably be finding a mill that will process small amounts you'd be after and making sure they process fine fibers nicely with their equipment.
If you found some fine wool shetland, corriedale, blueface Leicester, merino,... Those would all be great with angora. Most blends I see are 50/50 wool angora or 80/20 wool angora. Just a few days ago I spun a lovely roving blend that was wool, silk, angora (though unlabeled % of fibers) that was just soft as can be. Different people will be after different blends though.
Can I get back all that spare time I used to have?

https://www.instagram.com/girlwalkswithgoats/

The following user would like to thank ohiogoatgirl for this post
averydeadbird, Nymphadora

Post Number:#4  Unread postby LunarFantom » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:49 am

ohiogoatgirl wrote:If you are looking at what to market... Some people want to buy angora fiber for their own decisions of blending or spinning itself. Some people want to buy blended rovings with angora in it. Where are you located? If you are already looking for spinners then you should try to find a spinners (etc) guild near you.

I'm in a very middle of nowhere kind of place so guilds are going to be scarce. Its very very VERY cold here though so overly warm clothes isn't a huge issue. Maybe I can find sheep wool from a local farmer.

United States of America

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Nymphadora » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:16 am

LunarFantom wrote:I'm in a very middle of nowhere kind of place so guilds are going to be scarce. Its very very VERY cold here though so overly warm clothes isn't a huge issue. Maybe I can find sheep wool from a local farmer.

I'd start by trying to sell just the pure angora. But if you find a local supply of sheep's wool, make sure you blend them correctly, and that both are cleaned properly before you blend them.

Post Number:#6  Unread postby LunarFantom » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:47 am

Nymphadora wrote:
LunarFantom wrote:I'm in a very middle of nowhere kind of place so guilds are going to be scarce. Its very very VERY cold here though so overly warm clothes isn't a huge issue. Maybe I can find sheep wool from a local farmer.

I'd start by trying to sell just the pure angora. But if you find a local supply of sheep's wool, make sure you blend them correctly, and that both are cleaned properly before you blend them.

By cleaned do you mean carted?

Also, so only sheep wool does this, mohair, alpaca hair, and whatnot won't help?

United States of America

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Nymphadora » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:10 am

LunarFantom wrote:By cleaned do you mean carted?

Also, so only sheep wool does this, mohair, alpaca hair, and whatnot won't help?

By clean I was mostly referring to any wool that may have picked up vegetable matter, bits of twigs, etc. It doesn't need to be washed and carded necessarily, but having clean wool before you start blending with the angora will just make a much nicer product.