Incredibly aggressive buck--HELP

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyoBunnies

Reaction score
We have a 12 week old Holland lop buck, that my kids really wanted to keep as a pet. He is from one of my litters, so he was raised by me, in my house. HE IS SO MEAN! He was the sweetest little guy, cuddly, docile, until about 2 weeks ago. It seems to only be cage aggressive, but he bites the holy hell out of me when i go to feed, water, change his litter box and even pet him. I have started wearing gloves after the 2nd time he ripped my hand open. But he seems to be getting worse. Today he flew off his resting shelf and attacked my hand like a psycho.
He hasn't bit either of my kids, yet. But after the 2nd time he bit me they are not allowed to put their hands in his cage. So I have no idea if he just hates me. He has never acted aggressive outside of his cage.
What can I do to tame him down? Will neutering him help at all? If my kids weren't so attached to him he'd already be in freezer camp. But they are begging me to let them keep him.

EDIT-- I just realized this probably should have gone into the behavior section. I don't know how to move it. SORRY!

It sounds to me as though his hormones are kicking in--male rabbits often become sexually mature at that age. Neutering him may help, but I agree with Michael that it is unlikely to help enough to make him a safe and rewarding pet for your kids.

Before you decide to make rabbit stew, you could see if there is something in this site that will help you to modify his behaviour.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Unless someone else has a brilliant suggestion, I think it would be best to prepare the kids to let this rabbit go and try again with another later on. Just my opinion, though, and I seem to recall Miss M having good success with reforming a young buck using the methods in the link above.

BTW, lots of topics are able to go in more than one place. It is a behavioral issue, but it also addresses the feelings of children for their pets. So it is fine here, unless you want me to move it.

No need to move it if this is an ok spot!
I will review the link. Thank you so much.
My kids are 12 & 9, so they are old enough to understand if it doesn't work out. They wanted him as a 4H bunny, but we cant have a little guy that is tearing fingers off judges. haha

Latest posts

Back