Questions about creating a 3 generation pedigree

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny love

Reaction score
Hi all. This is probably a dumb question but how do I create a 3 generation pedigree if I'm starting out with non-pedigreed rabbits? I have French lops. In order to create a 3 generation pedigree all of the rabbits need to be related correct? I have my first generation ( offspring from my doe and buck) Do I breed a buck and/or doe back to the parents to get the second generation? and then a buck and or doe from that breeding back to my original buck and doe? If I introduce a new buck to my doe then do I need to breed 3 more generations from that pairing for the offspring to be pedigreed? I really need some clarification. Also, I have 3 separate litters from the same buck and doe. Would they all be considered brothers and sisters? I'm pretty sure they would be.

If you bred them back to the parents it would only be a partial pedigree (if you don't have their pedigree information.) It would still only technically be one generation because it wouldn't go back further than the parents. To get another generation with one generation pedigrees you'd have to breed two with one generation pedigrees together; so in this case, siblings (and yes, they would still be siblings if they were from different litters). If you brought in new stock and didn't want to have to start over making a pedigree, you'd have to bring in pedigreed stock.

Thank you Sable Steel. So I wouldn't breed back to either parent, but breed siblings together instead for the second generation? What about the third generation? Siblings From that pairing as well?

Latest posts

Back