accidental pregnancy

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
So i already asked in the comments but this is how it works:
We have a cage with 3 different sections:
  • Weened Babies(5 weeks old and weened yesterday)
    Mother mix(gave birth 5 weeks a go
    And retired male (6 years old)
So i was rushing to get to the grocery store and threw some hay in for the babies. When i got back, 2 hours later, i saw i left the lid open and one baby was in the mothers cage and she was in the old males cage. He is very mate happy even at his age and she just got her babies taken yesterday. There was a bite under his eye, she was mad at him and hiding in his little house, making sure he couldn't get in, and he was running around the entry of his little house. She doesn't let a buck mount easily, especially since she just had her babies with her, which is probably why he got a bite under his eye, but i don't know if with his age and her babies if pregnancy is still in the picture. I REALLY hope not due to his age but you never know. Is there? What are the chances? What do I do? Should I palpate in a week? What would be the issues of an older buck? :bunnyhop: :( :shock: :!: :|

6 years isn't old, they can go on much longer. No worries there :roll:

So the question is if the doe got angry before or after he got his chance, afaik there is no other way to tell than to wait and see.
My bet would be that she's more likely pregnant than not, so mark the date and be prepared.

I had them accidentually accomplish the task in mere 30 seconds, but I also came home to escaped rabbits after half a day without any pregnancies, I guess it boils down to the mood the doe was in.

6 is not old, I had a herd sire producing litters of 12 when he was 11 years old and the oldest rabbit I've had lived to be 14

I'd prepare for another litter in 28 to 35 days

Latest posts

Back