Mom attacked kit, found it wet and cold

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Around 1 in the afternoon today i went down in our basement to bring our babies upstairs to hold them, let them play in the puppy pen and get used to household noises.

I let 2 litter of kits play together and apparently mom had an issue with it this time (smelling like other rabbits) she ripped her skin by its arm, i dont see any blood, literally just looks like a little torn skin. But in the scuffle im guessing the kit soaked itself in moms water dish. I have let litters play together a lotttt and i when i put them back i cover them in their own bedding and never have issues.

When i found it, it was so cold i thought it was dead. I have it warming by our pellet stove slowly, laying on the warm tile hearth pad but its still just laying there. It is starting to warn up more, shivvering so i think thats good that its body is trying to warm up-unless the shivering is shock??. Our basement is on average around 45 degrees. Its been about 3 hours.. :(
Any thoughts?

What are the chances this little one will make it? I am gonna clean its cut once its fully warmed up and apply neosporin. I feel so so so so bad.. its leas than 3 weeks old. I feel soooooo guilty:(

Don't feel guilty . . . based on previous experience you had no reason to expect this to happen.

Have you got the kit covered on his warming tile to help him retain the heat he is getting? Be sure not to suffocate him or cook him, but a light covering might help.

Useful recent thread:
post327074.html#p327074

It sounds like the chilling is more serious than the injury. I used to fill a crock with rocks to keep the kits from getting soaked. The rabbits could still drink from between the rocks but the most a kit could get would be a wet foot.

Hi Maggie, ty for your reply. You're always so helpful!!! And i can5 help but feel guilty. Its my fault. I put my all into my pet bunnies, the litters are so close in age, i figure i can socialize with all of them at once so they get LOTS of interaction with people, vs ok you had your turn now u go back to your cage. I literally spend the whole day (now that im laid off until spring for work) holding them throughout the day, talking to them, doing housework around them so they are used to noises like the vacuum, chairs scraping across the tile floor, the tv, music, they see/hear the cats and dogs. Basically i try my hardest to get them ready for anything a new home will throw at them so its less stressful for them. So because i tried too much, i got this bunny hurt. Its breaking my heart!!!!!

As for the hearth pad the baby was on is super warm, so i didn't need the rice idea but tonight i definitely will do that. I'll probably have it in a little box right on our bed with us tonight and keep heating it up.

Its definitely thoroughly warmed up but is still lethargic and wobbly. Tried holding mom to see if it would nurse, nope! But it willingly ate a teeeeeny bit of C.C. but i did insist on it eating more than those couple licks. Im hoping that little bit of food will give it enough energy to nurse off mom. I cleaned its cut, it didnt like that at allllll :( but i know it needed to be done. It was laying were mom goes to the bathroom.

I dont know if it will make it, but i sure am trying my absolute hardest!!!!!! If it lives and is a doe, she will stay with us.. she won our hearts seeing how much of a fighter she is. She seriously was so cold and stiff i thought she was gone when i found her :(
Definitely need good vibes for her!!! <br /><br /> -- Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:30 pm -- <br /><br /> Or him*

I hope the lil one makes it. :lilbunny:

It's very hard on you to take everything so much to heart. I once stepped on a chick and I felt terrible. I was sure it would be flattened. (It wasn't, it was fine because of the depth of the bedding, but I still felt awful.) That was at least twelve years ago, and I've toughened myself up a bit since then. I had to. When you care for animals, there are times when they get sick, get hurt, escape or just disappear and if you agonize over the bad stuff, it's hard to enjoy the good. Do your best, always, but give yourself permission to make the occasional mistake. You're only human, right?

Hi Maggie, I have good news (so far anyway) the kit is doing much better. Moving around more tho weirdly enough its still wobbly. But im happy with its improvement. So my fingers are still tightly crossed :)

I realize as a breeder i do have to be a little tough skinned. And ever since we lost peepers a few years ago (not sure if you remember her but she was a meat mixed bunny, the mix was flemish, satin and mini rex) but super tinyyyyy. My guess was maybe she was a peanut because of the mini rex? No clue but we fed her by hand since day 3 and she passed away at around 6 weeks, we even had her cremated. Ever since then.. when we had our hearts ripped out we dont go above and beyond trying to save them. We figure nature knows best.

But with this little one, because it was my fault, i wore so much guilt. If it doesnt make it that guilt will be there for a long time but for now the guilt has lessened a lot. Im happy that he/she is still with us and is improving :)

Btw we tried sexing it. i think its a boy, wife thinks its a girl. So for now, I'll just assume my wife is right :)

Back