Expected growth weights for rex?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a few that I kept from my last litter but they seem a lot smaller than any of my adults. The parents are 3.5 and 4 kg. I weighed them today at 6 months and the buck weighs 2.4 kg and the does weigh 2.2 kg. Will they keep gaining weight and size or is this the biggest they're going to get?? Is it an ok weight for this age? They're still about half the size of the bucks and does I have at the moment.

Does anyone have an expected weight for rex at certain ages? Like 10 weeks, 12 weeks, 6 months etc?

are all of "the ones you kept" smaller? was their small size feed related, [did they have all they wanted until 12 to 16 weeks] or was the feed a low calorie "pet feed" ? At 6 months, they should be 3/4 of the full adult weight.

Maybe that's where I went wrong, I gave them a lot of feed but the bowl wasn't always full. It would be empty by the morning. So I guess these guys will get to about 3 kg then?

So I haven't been doing a great job of recording my growth rates over time... but our Rex line seems to be on the larger side (our main herd buck is pushing 11 lbs, and most of our does are between 9.5-10.5 lbs). I expect our rabbits to be approximately 8 lbs (3.6 kg) at 6 months. I don't expect the grow outs to reach 5 lbs (2.26 kg) by 8 weeks, but I'd say they reach it by 10 weeks or so, and I'm happy with that.

As far as feeding goes, we free feed our grow out pens until about week 10. Then I actually start measuring out the feed a little more carefully so as not to waste it, but I'm giving them "adult" portions. I also only keep rabbits that grow quickly (usually the biggest ones in the litter) as long as they also have good type according to the breed SOP. By doing this we've gotten better growth rates in all of our litters even in just the past year. That said, I'm not trying to breed "giants", so I'm gonna be looking even more strictly for type once all breeders are consistently producing quickly-growing kits. :oops:

:good-luck:

Latest posts

Back