Question about cleaning litter trays in winter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba man

Reaction score
i bought a big plastic floor - they are used for refridgerators or water heaters basically to catch an overflow - it works great under where the rabbits crap - how ever bein winter i can`t use the hose to wash it offf - any suggestions - maybe a spray but this is all going into a compost - hope some one has an idea

Try a plastic windshield scraper or putty knife to loosen the droppings. It doesn't have to be perfect, especially when it's frozen. You could take down a pail of hot water and use that . . . but dumping it might be tricky, depending on how rigid and how large the tray is.

Do you use hardwood shavings or something similar in the trays? They should absorb most of the urine.
I've also heard of people using a little peat moss in the trays to neutralize the urine.

White vinegar works well to loosen and dissolve urine scale if it builds up.

Urine will steadily leave a discolored layer. It's near impossible to get off completely without something strong enough to damage plastic or metal trays. The stuff is like trying to dissolve a rock since it is partially made of minerals. All you can do is reduce it to a smooth layer that does not smell or grow noticeable bacteria by using acidic things like vinegar, scraping or scrubbing at it, and if possible soaking. Having less of it dry directly to the tray and instead stick to removable bedding, sweet pdz, or aglime aka barn lime will help prevent it and lead to less scrubbing the tray with things.

Back