Cage question's

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some cage question's.

I am just curious is a 24 X 24 size cage to small for a standard Rex rabbit.

I am going to be building my own cage's But i was thinking of making each cage either 30 X 30 cage's for each of my rabbit or maybe even 36 X 36 cage's for the rabbit's.

please i need information before the 28th as i am building them cages on the same day i am picking them up.

i use 30x30 cages for standard rex and they are quite spacey. there's plenty of room for both a large size nest box and the rabbit to have a comfortable amount of space to move. they're also roomy for when those kits are growing.

http://babbits.tumblr.com/post/15980840 ... ut-rabbits

this is an old video of one of my rabbits eating a plant that shows her full cage. she is not a rex, but she is the same size as a typical standard rex doe, and you can see how much space she has outside of her nest box. ultimately though it's up to you, your rabbits, and the amount of space you have to work with. i always err on the side of more space than not enough, and i have the space for cages that size :)

That is a beautiful Doe and cage she has some nice space in there. I think i will go with the 30 X 30 size cage it has been 4 years sense i made any rabbit cage's for my rabbit's and well I found a 24 X 24 cage towers in my area but it has had rabbits in it before and i don't want to get them and bring anything in to my herd of rabbit's so i will be building there cage's Thank you so much :)

I also like 30 x 30 [if I have top access or big enough doors] , or 24 deep x 36 wide [for easier access from front ] size cages for standard size rabbits, -just a note.. make your doors big enough for you to easily access every corner of your cages ...

michaels4gardens":3alyxqhe said:
24 deep x 36 wide [for easier access from front ] size cages for standard size rabbits, -just a note.. make your doors big enough for you to easily access every corner of your cages ...
I raise rex, and mine are in 24 x 36 cages, for the exact reason that Michael pointed out. I can reach into the back if needed, which I'd have considerable difficulty doing with a 30 inch deep cage. I definitely wouldn't go smaller than the sizes Michael gave, though, just because the nestboxes (and kits) will take up quite a bit of space. If you're planning on building the cages, I'd also recommend starting sooner than later. Your hand may start getting tired or sore after putting j-clips on two or three cages... it's best to give yourself a little time so you don't have to force yourself through the pain. ;)

I'm short and have small hands for catching a rabbit. I usually stick to 24" to the back but 3-4' long for larger breeds so I can easily remove them without dragging toes on the wire. I probably wouldn't rely on all 24x24" for that size rabbit. Maybe for a few extra buck cages, single growouts, or various temporary uses.

michaels4gardens":2gcwv4n7 said:
I also like 30 x 30 [if I have top access or big enough doors] , or 24 deep x 36 wide [for easier access from front ] size cages for standard size rabbits, -just a note.. make your doors big enough for you to easily access every corner of your cages ...

Yep! Being short, I can NOT reach the back of a 30 inch deep cage.

And doors that open OUTWARDS instead of inwards. I bought some Tractor Supply cages cheap off of Craigslist and OMG the doors are a nightmare. Way too small for ease of access, no nest box will fit, and to have to push friendly rabbits back out of the way with the door does nothing for one's relationship with them, that's for sure. :roll:

I only have one left that I have not totally dismantled and adapted to my own uses but crap cages from start to finish, really glad they were cheap, if I had paid full price for them..... :evil:

Back