Register

ready for winter?

Off-topic Discussions, Member News, Funny Stories and Jokes.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 5,470.00

ready for winter?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Rainey » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:05 pm

Snowing and blowing hard here today and I'm wondering where our autumn went. September was still hot and humid summer weather and October was cold and wet, only a couple of those golden days that make fall my favorite season. November just meant the rain turned to snow but kept on falling. Hardly ever see the sun--or moon or stars.
I try to remember to be thankful that our woods aren't burning and our fields aren't flooded, that we got all the root crops out of the ground and into storage and the woodshed filled even though it often meant working in the wet and bringing things in wet. I think I'm even thankful that we didn't get fall litters in the rabbit barn this year since my first attempt at growing fodder this fall failed and the wet weather made gathering forage harder all fall.
I never did get the fall work done in my herb and flower gardens--and I'd meant to catch up on the work that didn't get done in the very brief spring this year. I dug mallow and echinacea roots just before the ground froze and was glad to have the mallow last week to ad to the tea I make for sore throats with dried elderberry and willow bark and fresh ginger.
I usually tell people I like winter, but I realize now that I like it better at the end of a golden fall. Hope all of you are warm and dry and got your harvests in and stored.
Attachments
IMG_2867.jpg
happy winter
IMG_2867.jpg (91.65 KiB) Viewed 85 times
IMG_2856.jpg
the chickens we started in March are laying and moved in for the winter
IMG_2856.jpg (80.73 KiB) Viewed 85 times

The following user would like to thank Rainey for this post
MaggieJ, michaels4gardens, Nymphadora

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,711.00

Re: ready for winter?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby ladysown » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:16 pm

i didn't get everything done before the snow came either.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,379.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:54 am

we have had "killing frosts" but no snow-- I am "grateful" for that...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 5,470.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Rainey » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:18 am

michaels4gardens wrote:we have had "killing frosts" but no snow-- I am "grateful" for that...

It's just 4 degrees here this morning so I am grateful for the snow blanket covering my perennials. The sun is even shining but unless the wind drops or the temp rises I don't feel inclined to get out for a walk.

The following user would like to thank Rainey for this post
michaels4gardens