Hatchery Meat Chick Suggestions?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
The one recommended to me - the name escapes me for the moment - is out and no projected availability dates so am open to suggestions as to where to get good meat chicks.

As we are now going to be forced to live in Florida for the next 5 years (yes, we have now lost our relocation case :( ) we may as well have some good chicken. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:48 pm __________ <br /><br /> Ideal, that was the name.

I use Meyer's hatchery, for both layers and meat birds I have always had good success with them. I am lucky to be able to drive there to pick up my birds so I don't have to worry about shipping charges.

I'm so glad you guys have had good experiences with Meyer!

We're hoping to add chickens to our home in the next year, and I think I'm going with Meyer based on the available breeds and affordability. It's reassuring "knowing" people that have had good success with them. :oops:

Other than being slightly slower, is there any advantage to getting meat roosters over hens, hens are cheaper.

GBov":3epi6nud said:
Other than being slightly slower, is there any advantage to getting meat roosters over hens, hens are cheaper.
What?! :shock:

Usually the hens are more because of the egg-laying component (more in demand), at least any time I've looked...

If hens are cheaper on Meyer, I'm definitely going with them! :p

Just put in my order for straight run so I can see myself the difference. They were about $6 more for 25 straight run rather than hens but worth it perhaps.

They will be here the first week in January *sigh* so no homegrown Christmas chicken.

michaels4gardens":1gq6sy7z said:
for meat chickens, I get better [faster] growth with roosters.

I did think that but we like the taste of hens better. Then again, they live such a short time, it most likely doesn't matter.

Anyway, the deed is done.

Now to remember they are coming and be ready! It is a few weeks away, after all! :lol:

GBov":3pj7g7xi said:
michaels4gardens":3pj7g7xi said:
for meat chickens, I get better [faster] growth with roosters.

I did think that but we like the taste of hens better. Then again, they live such a short time, it most likely doesn't matter.

Anyway, the deed is done.

Now to remember they are coming and be ready! It is a few weeks away, after all! :lol:

with these birds-- it is not much of a difference in growth rate anyway...

Quote "Feed Recommendations: Meyer Hatchery recommends feeding your baby chicks 12 hours ON and 12 hours OFF starting at 3 weeks of age. This helps minimize the risk of heart and leg issues that can come with too rapid of growth. Feed 20% protein medicated chick starter for the first 3 weeks, then finish with an unmedicated 18% grower/broiler feed. Meyer recommends processing these birds at 7 to 9 weeks of age."
I have had problems in the past with these birds growing too fast for their bone structure...

Good to know about feed restriction, having only ever tried feed store meat chicks, having the real deal, at last, will be a totally new thing. :D

Now to lay in a stock of feed to be ready for them. And turn the defunct fridge into another brooder as the other one is now full of meal worms.

Have I done a post about fridge brooders? Put the fridge on its back after taking the doors off, cut a doorway between freezer and fridge, bed both deep in shavings and put the heat lamp in the freezer side. Cover with something mostly solid like planks to keep the heat in while allowing air in and out and put the food and water in the fridge side.

This allows the chicks to regulate their own heating needs.

It has worked super for normal breeds of chickens but not sure how the meaties will do, shall have to wait and see.

michaels4gardens":2z1iybeb said:
wow...great idea, I had not either seen, or heard of this...

I invented it :D but I am sure other people have as well. :lol:

25 to 30 is about as many as fit comfortably and by about day 5 I put the water up onto a block to keep the shavings dryer.

Works a treat.

I was going to just try an open section of my chicken pen for these but as it will be Jan. I think they will need the extra protection. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:08 pm __________ <br /><br /> https://needsmustyardfarmer.blogspot.co ... brief.html

There are pictures of the fridge brooder here. :D

UFCreel":10k7hoq3 said:
I always had good luck with White Rocks. Had problems with the Cornish crosses.
White Rocks grow slower, but have a better"healthier" [according to some people] meat ,because they are not bred for extremely fast, efficient growth.
If I am feeding "home grown" feed, I don't mind raising "heritage breeds" for meat... -However, when I am feeding expensive store bought feed,- I want fast, efficient meat production- I personally, am not willing to pay twice as much per pound for my meat , just to get a [possibly] "better product"..

I get the Cornish Cross and raise them on pasture .....
I have a tractor and they stay outside 24/7 after being feathered....

I find them stupid (I have actually run one over with the cage because it just sat there) but they produce meat quickly. I also ration the feed... so between the daily walk and the food being portioned to run out overnight, I havn't had a lot of issues.... (Unless crowded or I didn't book the butcher on the right week) I usually get them butchered at 8-9 weeks old.

Nymphadora":3pjbokhs said:
GBov":3pjbokhs said:
What?! :shock:

Usually the hens are more because of the egg-laying component (more in demand), at least any time I've looked...

If hens are cheaper on Meyer, I'm definitely going with them! :p

Sorry, I meant to reply to this aaaaages ago and forgot. It isn't normal hens that are cheaper, just the meat birds. They never get a chance to lay eggs and are smaller than the roosters, hence the cheaper price.

Adding another thought for those who are tired of just buying Cornish Crosses Meat birds to look up "Toads". (if you use Backyard Chickens Forum you can search for them there) Which basically are chickens that people have bred starting with CCXCC (the hard part is that to get them to live until egg laying or breeding age you have to limit their feed starting at 3 weeks and make them forage) then you bred them out with a heavy breed (Buff Orps, Barred Rock, White rock ect) and then you breed those to each other and the results are called "Toads" and are self sustaining meat birds (that tend to have a lot of yummy dark meat) and taste way better then just CC on their own they raise up to butchering at about 15 weeks and are the size of young turkeys. Yes I am trying these as I would rather not buy chicks every year and I want a better more flavor filled chicken which these produce.

Latest posts

Back