Register

rabbit manure

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
BunnyBucks: 90.00

rabbit manure

Post Number:#1  Unread postby bubba man » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:18 pm

hello from N.C. - GETTING 2 FEMALES TOMORROW WILL USE THE CRAP FOR MY COMPOST - I WAS TOLD THE 2 WILL GET ALONG FINE WAS I TOLD RIGHT - sorry about the caps

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,758.00

Re: rabbit manure

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:58 am

Hello bubba man and welcome! :hi:

Does are often territorial and may fight, unless they were raised together. They'd be much safer each having her own cage. In a large enclosure - colony style - they'd probably work it out because they'd have room to get away from each other, but otherwise I would not risk it.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

BunnyBucks: 90.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby bubba man » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:30 am

owner said they`ed be ok so i do think they are sisters - haven`t had a rabbit since the 80`s back in N.Y. - how much do you spend for food i picked up a 25 lb. bag for $8.oo

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,937.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Preitler » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Welcome,

I keep my does in pairs, they are mother daughter pairs. If, and how well they get along depends on their individual characters, growing up with the other around sure helps. It's not always sunshine, but when they get along reasonable well imho they are happier than alone, at least that's my impression. It works great if one or both have litters. My hutches are rather big, and they get garden time, so they can get out of each others view when they feel like it, guess that helps too.
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness, then I am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious commodity is so much misery"

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,635.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby akane » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:12 pm

It really depends. Space and obstacles to break up their line of sight makes a big difference beyond the individual personality of the rabbits and if they've been living together peacefully already. Typical square, plain wire cages or cheaper, small hutches are often only designed to hold one rabbit with only enough space for basic activities of a single individual. If you are building your own cages in a larger size it's more likely you can make it work. I sold several to live together but always people who were building hutches or using ground/floor pens with separate sections or just plain a lot of square footage compared to more typical rabbit cages. When they can get away from each many disagreements become temporary and end without serious injury but fights can turn deadly when one can't run or hide.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,988.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Nymphadora » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:59 pm

bubba man wrote:owner said they`ed be ok so i do think they are sisters

I would confirm with the owner that they've been raised together.

I do currently have two sisters that I'm letting stay together in the biggest grow-out cage we have (4' long), because they've always been together and they seem to be quite fond of each other. But I have enough cages that I can separate them right away if needed, and if I was planning on breeding either one I would separate them permanently. I know there are people who have gotten lucky, but I'd rather not risk the chance that they turn on each other and fight once the hormones start changing, especially in the amount of space they have.

bubba man wrote:how much do you spend for food i picked up a 25 lb. bag for $8.oo

As for feed, it's incredibly hard to judge what's a "good" deal unless you are speaking to a bunch of people in your own area. What's more important is the ingredients and ratios, in my opinion.

The following user would like to thank Nymphadora for this post
MaggieJ, michaels4gardens