Colony invader help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Nickel Farm

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have an outdoor 75' x 25' rabbit colony. I ran 1"x 2" welded wire all the way around and 1/4" x 1/4" wire around the whole bottom. I have had this set up for almost 8 months. I acquired caged Flemish giants and slowly transitioned them to living on the dirt. My question is, has any one had issues with a weasel/mink/ small rodent? Not sure what it is, but I think my production is down due to this invader. I had a litter of 3 that mom was keeping in a safe burrow. I noticed one 14 day old baby hanging out in another part of the colony the other day. Then went out this afternoon and found half of the poor thing. :angry: Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Rats always tried to burrow under my colony and they can climb just about anything while fitting through surprisingly small openings. After years of attempts at various methods I ended up having to put out bait stations and just poison them. Not the first time. I tried every other method when they got in the chicken coop and then with mice in this new house. DIY plaster bait works ok if you keep replenishing it regularly since it doesn't work fast or with just a single bite. It won't transfer to anything that eats rodents and it won't kill larger or many other types of animals but it simply wasn't enough with the numbers I keep dealing with in my area. I always end up putting some very sturdy bait stations and rat poison out year round. It's just not worth the damage (still have wiring in the house that doesn't work right) or death of kits and other small animals to mess around with traps and alternatives to commercial rat poison.

Small weasels can be possible and would likely be easier to trap. I've never had one small enough to mistake for the rats. We did end up with a fishercat. Some have been coming down from Canada to the northern US and they are darn near impossible to deal with. Large weasels with the ability to tear wire, dig, climb, and tend to maintain large territories with randomly spaced attacks while also avoiding most traps. I gave up on free range chickens when that appeared but ended up moving in town a year later anyway.

Latest posts

Back