Register

Was supposed to pick up two pigs today...

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,713.00

Re: Was supposed to pick up two pigs today...

Post Number:#31  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Shea, someone will is bound to have an idea how to coyote-proof your pig. :lol:
Ah, yes, we're all enablers here! <insert evil laugh>

GBov, that must be frustrating to have deer and no gun. Any chance you could borrow a deer gun for a couple of days during the season? You'd have a chance to get one deer, at least.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 13,030.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby GBov » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:10 pm

MaggieJ wrote:Shea, someone will is bound to have an idea how to coyote-proof your pig. :lol:
Ah, yes, we're all enablers here! <insert evil laugh>

GBov, that must be frustrating to have deer and no gun. Any chance you could borrow a deer gun for a couple of days during the season? You'd have a chance to get one deer, at least.

All enablers here indeed! :lol:

I have actually been thinking of whom I might borrow a gun from but my circle is small. There is one person though I could ask, must get on that. The to do list grows, it grows!

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 832.00

Post Number:#33  Unread postby Shea » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:47 am

Crossbows work as well if they are legal to hunt with there. Accurate up 50yds with no training and quiet. Thats my arms choice this year, and it adds an extra month othe deer season.

Im thinking a pallet house might be sturdy enough to keep the coydogs out. And I have enough of them lying around. Add on a solar motion sensor light it might work.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Post Number:#34  Unread postby GBov » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:05 am

I did have a look at them last time I was somewhere selling crossbows but alas, they too are out of my budget. Ah well, at least we have food in the house for now, will worry about later when it comes.

How big a problem are coydogs in your area? We have bear, coyote, fox, raccoon, latchkey dogs but so far, my two dogs have kept them all out. Funny enough, we have lost new piglets to owls, of all things, but potbelly and micro pigs are sooooo tiny when born that I can't blame the owl for wanting some pork, it is lovely after all. :lol:

Perhaps 3 pigs instead of one? No wait, not trying to enable you beyond what is sensible :lol: but even a pack of dogs will hesitate to go after a herd of pigs, they are a formidable prey item.

Or a good zappy hotwire, as you have already mentioned. Put bait on the wire so the coy try to bite/lick it off. It worked wonders for the foxes in Ireland when I had chickens there.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership

Post Number:#35  Unread postby Shea » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:10 pm

There is a pack that runs the ridgeline along our property. We have a neighbor the next ridge over who free ranges their sheep, goats, and chickens with a couple LGDs so the coyotes are always watching waiting for them to slipup.
I may do the electric fence if I can figure out a cheap one. Kind of defeats the point of getting free pork if I have to spend $100 on a fence charger.

Post Number:#36  Unread postby GBov » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:28 pm

Shea wrote:There is a pack that runs the ridgeline along our property. We have a neighbor the next ridge over who free ranges their sheep, goats, and chickens with a couple LGDs so the coyotes are always watching waiting for them to slipup.
I may do the electric fence if I can figure out a cheap one. Kind of defeats the point of getting free pork if I have to spend $100 on a fence charger.

Not really as free pork comes and goes but the charger works for years and years. If you work the price into the next five pigs you get free then it works fine as long as it keeps the pack away.

Says she trying to decide how to pay an upcoming bill. :lol:

The four times I have had electric fencing over the last 40 years or so I have loved it and now the solar ones? Magic!

Site Supporter
1 year of membership

Post Number:#37  Unread postby Shea » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:43 pm

:D Shame on you, you enabler you.

I have to pass on the fence charger for this round. If I decide on pigs again I will get one though. Dont have the funds to spare at the moment, trying to piece my truck back together before winter hits.

Quick question though, do you skin or scald with the smaller pigs?

Post Number:#38  Unread postby GBov » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:11 pm

Shea wrote::D Shame on you, you enabler you.

I have to pass on the fence charger for this round. If I decide on pigs again I will get one though. Dont have the funds to spare at the moment, trying to piece my truck back together before winter hits.

Quick question though, do you skin or scald with the smaller pigs?

Both! :lol: Anything up to 40 pounds I can scald in my kitchen on my own, anything over I hang and skin.

If I have a winch and bathtub I would scald them all but alas, that is not something I have. :(

Site Supporter
1 year of membership

Post Number:#39  Unread postby Shea » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:20 am

Incase anyone was wondering, an eighty pound potbelly pig will fit perfectly in the back of a 1990 Plymouth Horizon. :D
2018111195134004.jpg
2018111195134004.jpg (147.58 KiB) Viewed 57 times

The following user would like to thank Shea for this post
Nymphadora

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,865.00

Post Number:#40  Unread postby Nymphadora » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Shea wrote:Incase anyone was wondering, an eighty pound potbelly pig will fit perfectly in the back of a 1990 Plymouth Horizon. :D

Perfectly is right! :P :lol:

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,661.00

Post Number:#41  Unread postby ladysown » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:26 am

I've taken in lots of pet bunnies. They get two weeks to prove themselves. MOST go to snake feed, the occasional big one into my stew pot. The very odd one I keep or rehome.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

Previous