How to get a rabbit in prime show condition?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks, especially for rex. Does anyone have a specific feed (i'm from Australia so most of the brands arnt here, I'll be making my own from something similar), or a specific way to groom or anything to get their rabbits looking the best they can? And Is it better to let rabbits get lots of exercise daily?

Personally I've never had a ton of luck, but here's something I was told when I first started showing:

If they are starting to molt and you want to move it along, feed a teaspoon or 1/2 teaspoon of calf manna or black oil sunflower seeds (you should be able to find those, at least) once a day. The extra fats will help them blow their coats so they're at least done molting sooner.

Best of luck!
:D

once upon a time... I raised rabbits for fur-- the sunflower seed [BOSS] works... it will help them shed fast, - it also helps them grow in a pretty new coat for fall / winter fur sales ... [I only fed it in cool/ cold weather to promote a good fur, as it generates heat...

OrvalTin":l03akb2v said:
Does that really work? Did you try it on one of your rabbits, Nymphadora?
I did try it with one round of rabbits... but it was difficult to not let them get fat. Our rabbits tend to pack on the fat pretty quickly with extra feed, so if they're starting to molt I kind of give up trying to show them for the moment. Or I go into the show with lower expectations (to some degree a judge will take molt into account... at least they can still judge the rabbit's overall form).

michaels4gardens":l03akb2v said:
once upon a time... I raised rabbits for fur-- the sunflower seed [BOSS] works... it will help them shed fast, - it also helps them grow in a pretty new coat for fall / winter fur sales ... [I only fed it in cool/ cold weather to promote a good fur, as it generates heat...
Michael's right about the feed generating extra heat... Another reason why I don't bother trying to correct their molts, given I live in California and it's usually pretty mild weather.

Back