Putting weight on a dairy goat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorn

Reaction score
Long story:
We got this nubian doe back in springs 3 year old stubborn leggy goat who came with theme Josephine. (Jo) She birthed two little buckling which we sold offhand began to milk. She only put out a half gallon a day, but that was fine for our family. Gradually though, we began to notice she was loosing weight. We gave her a bit more grain and alfalfa and shrugged it off. But she kept loosing weight.(The whole time she has had a goat mineral block.) We moved her out with some other goats in a pen we move weekly, or whenever they run out of stuff to eat, kept giving her grain, and went to milking once a day. Big surprise, she kept loosing weight. Now I had a pretty good idea why she was sold. Well now down to milking her one every two days and getting about a gallon a week. She's not loosing weight but not gaining either. No one anywhere else seems to understand grain and hay aren't working soooo...here I am? Really want to get weight on this goat before it gets below 30. She's practically a stick with fur. :shrug:

Short story: Tried alfalfa,Woods,Pasture, Grain, Minerals ,and NOTHING works, she keeps loosing weight. We even stopped milking her. Help? :(

P.S Acorns maybe? Or would the tannins be to high?

Is she still eating good maybe she has a sore tooth. Or maybe try worming her.

Think we're gonna try the Calf-manna. Sounds like it'll work, thanks for introducing me to it!

We have wormed her as well, even took fecal samples to the vet to make sure she was wormed properly and to see if anything else was wrong.

edit: duplicate post

I know many people have, and love, goats but I had to give them up. They were just waaaaay too hard to keep in anything even near good condition.

Good luck with your girl!

Latest posts

Back