Lionhead color!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyoBunnies

Reaction score
Here is my boy Alex. Is he a Blue? The while belly and white insides of his ears is throwing me off. would that make him a blue otter?
Also, his pedigree says single mane. But I think he's a double mane, maybe?
(excuse his messy coat, please! He's shedding horribly. haha)

Attachments

• Alex1.jpg
    Alex1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 890
  • Alex3.jpg
    Alex3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 890
  • Alex2.jpg
    Alex2.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 889
Yup, definitely blue based but I cannot tell if agouti ( = opal) or tan ( = blue otter)

Do you know the colour of his parents?

Single maned Lionheads often shed out their baby fluff and have a sparser mane as adults and almost no trim around their hips

Double manes keep both their manes and the side trimmings

I do not know the color of his parents. He was given to me, no pedigree, he is a pet. I won't use him for breeding. He has a cloudy eye he was born with. I'm just curious about his color. I don't think he is an agouti. He doesn't have the ring pattern when I blow into his fur. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:10 am __________ <br /><br />
Dood":38tfg00e said:
Yup, definitely blue based but I cannot tell if agouti ( = opal) or tan ( = blue otter)

Do you know the colour of his parents?

Single maned Lionheads often shed out their baby fluff and have a sparser mane as adults and almost no trim around their hips

Double manes keep both their manes and the side trimmings

He is estimated to be at least 4 years old. He does have a mane and a little trim around his hips, but not as much as my other lionhead. He just isn't as...plush. haha. And his fur isn't as crimpy as the other ones.

If he doesn't have any ring color, then he would be a blue otter. However, the mane can also distort the rings, so in lionheads the most reliable place to look for ring color is over the normal fur on the back.

He would be a blue otter, then. Thank you! I checked the fur on his back and no ring color.
Thanks for all your knowledge. I find rabbit genetics and coloring very interesting and I've been doing research on my rabbits. haha. Everybody needs a hobby, right? :lol: :lol:

Back