Register

Pregnant doe becoming skinny! Help!

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
BunnyBucks: 292.00

Pregnant doe becoming skinny! Help!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby WyoBunnies » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:29 pm

My pregnant doe is becoming so skinny all ever except her belly! What can i give her to plump her back up? I'm becoming very concerned. I have been feeding her all she wants of grass hay, pellets and greens with occasional carrots, cucumbers, apple slices from our tree and other fruits. I read TUMS and old fashioned oatmeal can help so i gave her 1 TUMS and a little scoop of oatmeal, today.
I've never had a pregnant doe become this boney while pregnant before.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,425.00

Re: Pregnant doe becoming skinny! Help!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:59 pm

onion,garlic, garlic chive-- she could have parasites, iE:... worms, or coccidiosis..
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Post Number:#3  Unread postby WyoBunnies » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:17 pm

michaels4gardens wrote:onion,garlic, garlic chive-- she could have parasites, iE:... worms, or coccidiosis..

How would she have gotten a parasite? None of my other rabbits are skinny/ill. She is also an indoor rabbit.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Post Number:#4  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:37 pm

even indoor pets need wormed occasionally, they come in on your feet... or in the rabbit food,vegetables, or hay - anything that has had contact with soil

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,870.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Zass » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Rapid weight loss is often due to dehydration. Make sure her water bottle is functioning.

Post Number:#6  Unread postby WyoBunnies » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:23 pm

michaels4gardens wrote:even indoor pets need wormed occasionally, they come in on your feet... or in the rabbit food,vegetables, or hay - anything that has had contact with soil

Can i worm her while she's pregnant? Or should i call our vet?

-- Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:23 pm --

Zass wrote:Rapid weight loss is often due to dehydration. Make sure her water bottle is functioning.

She is definitely drinking water. I fill her bottle daily. She is due to kindle any day. She is huge in the belly and she is nesting, shes also extra cranky. Lol

Site Supporter

Post Number:#7  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:58 pm

I would give her allium family plants for a few days,[onions or garlic] if it is cocci, it will knock it out in a few days. Garlic will reduce worm populations without hurting her. If she has parasites she will readily eat onions, or garlic, - if she doesn't, she won't eat very much.

Post Number:#8  Unread postby WyoBunnies » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:19 pm

michaels4gardens wrote:I would give her allium family plants for a few days,[onions or garlic] if it is cocci, it will knock it out in a few days. Garlic will reduce worm populations without hurting her. If she has parasites she will readily eat onions, or garlic, - if she doesn't, she won't eat very much.

Thank you!!