Best growth, least liked color.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few litters under my belt at this point and I've noticed an interesting trend. With my specific line the Opals grow the fastest and are the largest, thriftiest kits. . . Its just my luck that opal is my Least favorite color. What I wouldnt do to get some plain chestnuts. :roll:

Have you guys found a similar trend with your own lines?

Thats how it always went when we were doing meat rabbits!! The ones we liked visually never grew the way we hoped. (Pretty ones we would try to find homes for and would hope they would be one of the smaller ones. Nope! Lol)

My favorite colors are castor and opal in my Rex... but I've been getting some very poor ring definition in both. :roll:

But of course DH fell in love with the whites (my least favorite) and now wants a whole rabbitry full of them. At least he's getting more cages for me... :p

Edit: spelling... :oops:

Ha! Some good out of that at least. :D
Genetics wise its kind of funny though. 3 different does, same buck, at least 1 opal in each litter and they are always the biggest.

Shea":jgivxkx2 said:
Ha! Some good out of that at least. :D
Genetics wise its kind of funny though. 3 different does, same buck, at least 1 opal in each litter and they are always the biggest.
Funny you should say that last bit... our opal kits do seem to be the chunkiest in our lines, as well. And all our breeders were castors (carrying dilute) up until just before summer. What a fun coincidence! :lol:

Edit: spelling... :oops:

It's very possible that the coat color gene could be linked to some metabolism gene that influences growth, that would explain it. In my litters it's always the rew (my least favorite) who are the chunkies. :lol:

Latest posts

Back