Register

Dwarf Hotot Eating a Lot But Losing Weight

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 3,380.00

Dwarf Hotot Eating a Lot But Losing Weight

Post Number:#1  Unread postby The_Dutchess » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:22 pm

My little brother's Dwarf Hotot rabbit has been dewormed and has been fed 3/4 of a cup to try to get him to gain his weight back, but it is not working. This happened after we switched feeds. He is really skinny, but there's nothing else wrong with him: he's a little less energetic but I wouldn't say lethargic, teeth are fine, poo is normal, no change in temperament, etc.
I'm stumped and feedback would be much appreciated by me and a new 5 year old 4-Her.
Thanks in advance!

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,763.00

Re: Dwarf Hotot Eating a Lot But Losing Weight

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:05 pm

The first thing I'd do would be to put him back on his old brand of feed. If that is the only thing that has changed and it's not worms, then the new feed is likely the cause of the weight loss.

The addition of a bit of BOSS might help too. I don't know how much would be suitable for a dwarf rabbit, so perhaps half a teaspoon to start and gradually increase to a full teaspoon. A little can make a difference.

I hope some other members chime in on this, particularly those who are familiar with the care of dwarf rabbits.
:good-luck:
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

BunnyBucks: 292.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby WyoBunnies » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:38 pm

Did you figure out what happened to cause the weight loss? I'm having the same trouble with a doe.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,389.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:46 am

I would give him a coccidiostat, or coccidiocide. Often, feed changes give cocci [either intestinal or hepatic] a foothold in the rabbit ...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.