Advice on feed!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyoBunnies

Reaction score
I have recently gotten back into rabbit keeping. I have very limited options for buying feed. I'm starting to think I'm going to have to start ordering it online. I have walmart, petco, tractor supply. Tractor supply only sells Dumor and I'm not impressed with the ingredients and it only has 13% protein level. Right now our 5 rabbits are only pets. But i would eventually like to start breeding, if i can find a quality food. I'm in Wyoming, near the Montana border. Any suggestions?

michaels4gardens":23b1pwta said:
The tractor supply stores I am familiar with have a selection , mana pro, producers pride, DuMor - I recommend a 16% protein content.. 18% is OK for growing rabbits. Mana pro has 16%...

I thought they had a good selection, also. But i have only been able to find DuMor. I will check online.

Yeah, I'd bet you can get manna pro delivered to your TSC store by ordering it online. That gives you the added advantage of not dealing with feed that's been sitting on the shelf for 8 months if there aren't a lot of rabbit keepers in your area.

I think manna pro might have a variety that's 18% protein (gro?) if you wanted to go that way (I feed 18%). Alternatively you might want to look into calf manna as a supplement for lactating does and growouts.

If you're in a farming area there may be some independently owned feedmills around that you can look for. They often don't have much of a web presence but you should be able to find them with a google search and then check them out.

Good luck!

Rabbits are omnivorous,not strictly herbivorous .
They can eat a wide variety of foods.
yeah I know this is controversial [especially to "pet rabbit" fanatics]...
First, let me say I have only raised meat rabbits..
I have fed a lot of things to rabbits..
When i fed only hay, roots, and greens -"sometimes" -I also feed some cheap "Old Roy" dog food to does with litters.
I have also supplemented them with "free" dry cat food.

I have also supplemented low protein rabbit pellets with dry dog or cat food.
I can tell you with confidence , that litters supplemented with dry dog food, grew much better and looked much better than litters that did not have it.
When I cannot find a suitable quality rabbit pellet, I always supplement the diet with a little dry dog food. [be sure that you feed hay with this]

michaels4gardens":1f0jcwrk said:
Rabbits are omnivorous,not strictly herbivorous .
They can eat a wide variety of foods.
yeah I know this is controversial [especially to "pet rabbit" fanatics]...
First, let me say I have only raised meat rabbits..
I have fed a lot of things to rabbits..
When i fed only hay, roots, and greens -"sometimes" -I also feed some cheap "Old Roy" dog food to does with litters.
I have also supplemented them with "free" dry cat food.

I have also supplemented low protein rabbit pellets with dry dog or cat food.
I can tell you with confidence , that litters supplemented with dry dog food, grew much better and looked much better than litters that did not have it.
When I cannot find a suitable quality rabbit pellet, I always supplement the diet with a little dry dog food. [be sure that you feed hay with this]

I know this is an older thread but had to add, my rabbits LOVE dry dog food! I never thought to feed it as a supplement but yeh, good idea!

Back