Vine ID? Please?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea of what this vine could be? Not planning on feeding it to my rabbits. My GSD chewed some early sunday morning and was violently sick a few hours later. power puking, so lethargic i thought I was losing him!!!

Not sure if its related to this plant or not but 900 dollars later from ER vet my dog is now fine and back to normal. We have no idea what was wrong with him, a vet and expert vet who looked at his xrays even wondered about a blockage. Said could be blockage or dehydrated poop. (Dehydration from power puking all morning) had it been confirmed blo blockage they would have wanted 4,000 to operate on him then and there. So of course i lost it.. cried and cried and cried and cried. To me, an operation that costly would have been a death sentence.. then they wanted to do a 400 dollar ultrasound, I didnt have another $400. We did the xrays @300 plus another 85 to have an exper read them within an hour vs wait anywheres from 4 to 24 hours. to see what it was. I didnt know it wouldnt give a definitive answer.

So because they couldnt tell 100% what they were seeing on the xray, the vet gave him a shot of nausea meds and lots of subq fluids. Sent us home with the plan of see how he is the next day and follow up with our vet. Well next morning he is 100% back to normal. Eating, pooping, chasing my poor cats lol. I called the vet to let them know he is 100% fine.

But anyway... we cut the vines away from the deck just to be safe. Just wish i knew what these are so i can be for certain if they are poisonous or not.. maybe it was the vines? Maybe some kind of 24 hour flu for dogs? No clue..

But if someone can ID these it might help me figure it out?
Ty

We live in Connecticut btw

https://imgur.com/a/1tt8EeL <br /><br /> __________ Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:17 pm __________ <br /><br /> Wondering if its a bittersweet.

Clinical Signs: Vomiting (not horses), diarrhea, seizures (rare), weakness

It's not a plant that I'm familiar with, but I wanted to say that I am very glad your dog turned out ok (and hopefully learned his lesson about chewing on strange plants). :encourage:

Fingers crossed someone knows what it is!
:good-luck:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... S_j-zlMxfX

I don't recognize the vine, so I googled toxic vines Connecticut and came up with the above PDF file. It's a government site -- perhaps they can help you even if it isn't one of the vines listed.

If you've been living there for a while, you may know if it flowers or fruits or has other characteristics that may help with ID.

Glad your dog is okay -- but what a scare and so expensive.

Hi Maggie, i had actually been to that site and downloaded that file but it didnt give me much info.
As for berries or flowering i havent seen any as of yet. But if it is a kind of bittersweet vine, I read it produces berries in the fall assuming a male and female plant is close enough to pollinate. Same with flowers, i believe a male/female has to be close.

I have no clue but all i know is it was so scary to see my dog not even lift his head for me.. never mind always being my shadow, i cant even wash or use the bathroom alone.

And thank you Nymphadora and Maggie for caring about my boy.. he is my world!!!

__________ Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:34 pm __________

I emailed that site asking if they could identify it... lets see if i get a reply and or ID. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:41 am __________ <br /><br /> It was that vine!!! I got a reply

https://imgur.com/a/RRShojH

Wow! That was fast! They must have answered it first thing this morning. I'd bookmark that site for future reference. :)

Super that you got an ID and confirmed that the vine was the source of the problem. Now if you can just convince your dog that rawhides are better chew-toys than vines . . .

MaggieJ":dduq51po said:
Now if you can just convince your dog that rawhides are better chew-toys than vines . . .
:yeahthat:

It's good knowing what dangers lurk in our own backyards, eh? :x :lol:

Although maybe he'll leave that one alone from now on... :oops:

:grouphug2:

Mine have done similar and we joke that while I got my akita basically free when the pups of her breeding were selling for $1500-$2500 she's now a $4,000 dog after 2 surgeries including hours spent clearing a blockage of splinters in her stomach. I did not figure out what mine were eating and vomiting in the yard but it was not anywhere near as bad. They were only slightly lethargic mostly from being uncomfortable and vomiting any food rather than other negative effects of what they ate but it repeated for several weeks in the fall for the first few years after we moved in. My akita that is the worst out of the 4 for grazing even vomited hard enough for blood to come up a couple times and of course the first time she did it was on a weekend so the only thing that would be open is the emergency vet. Luckily with their trampling the yard and my clearing and replanting of the garden areas with edible forage for guinea pigs and fully fenced vegetables whatever it was seems to have been eliminated.

As much as I found some of the herbals that were here like the rue plant interesting I am not upset some did not survive. While those such things can have their uses in controlled amounts the risk of liver damage, kidney damage, GI upset, and even leading to possible death is not such a good thing to have planted without a fence around animals.

So yeah, steel hasnt learned his lesson. He keepa going back to where the vine was lol

And akane, wow i would have been a mess had my dog needed a surgery, honestly had he needed a surgery i don't want to think about that... we would NOT have had that kind of money this time of year (my work is seasonal and the season is ending so fast).

Glad to hear your pup is ok even with needing 2 surgeries. Vet bills are crazy expensive. I cant imagine how much we spent in vet bills on my first GSD. Just when you think you cant learn anymore about pets and their safety, they throw a fast curve ball our way!

Latest posts

Back