Do you cull or sell additional rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just started showing and have my first litter. I've chosen the ones I want to keep so now I'm wondering what to do with the rest. Do you sell to other show breeders or cull? I'm just wondering if it's counter productive to sell to other show people since you'll be basically competing against them? I'm fairly sure most people cull their rabbits around my area as there are never any show rabbits for sale, but I just wanted to see what everyone else does.

I would have a moral issue representing my stock as top quality if they are not good enough for me to keep. If you are culling them because they aren't good enough, then being honest with the buyer won't bother you. If they are good enough to be your competition and you don't want to add to the pool of rabbits that may beat yours, then eat them.

Fang-of-fenrir":1mhqqxm0 said:
I've chosen the ones I want to keep so now I'm wondering what to do with the rest. Do you sell to other show breeders or cull? I'm just wondering if it's counter productive to sell to other show people since you'll be basically competing against them?

First, you shouldn't have to much difficulty competing against rabbits you've sold if you're keeping the absolute best. However, I prefer not to sell any rabbits that would do poorly in show, so I cull any that aren't up to a certain standard. This has two effects: you gain a reputation for a certain quality of rabbits, and buyers don't feel cheated that they bought a "show" rabbit that isn't worth showing.

So in a litter of 8, I might have 1-2 that I consider keeping, 1-2 that I like but aren't quite as good as the ones I plan to keep, and the rest will be culled. I breed for meat as well as show, though, so realistically if there's a litter with nothing competitive they all go to freezer camp. I also personally prefer certain colors, so when I get a really nice rabbit that's a color I'm not interested in I put it up for sale.

Back