New here with so many questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwem

Reaction score
Hello, I have been looking into adopting 2 bunnies from one of our local rescues. I plan to get 2 that are already together so they are happy and I don't have to worry about how they will get along. Anyway, I haven't had a bunny since I was a kid, 30+ years ago. I love the look of the cute wooden hutches I see all over pinterest or amazon etc and could make one but the more I read the more I worry those cute hutches won't be big enough as I keep reading they should have space like their own room.
I wonder if we were to make one of those hutches and connect it to our outdoor lanai if that would work? We have a small doggie door that leads onto our screened lanai that is covered so no direct sun. I would like to make part of the inside hutch where they could go thru the "doggie" door and access the lanai where I would have a caged in area for them to run around. Kind of like a large confined area part inside and part outside.

Do bunnies need direct sunlight or would the indirect sun on the lanai be enough? I'm in florida so it gets hot as heck.

I won't be able to let them run freely in the house as we have 2 cats and would feel safer with them protected. My cats are butterballs and wouldn't hurt them but I would rather keep my house in tact from any unwanted chewing etc.

Thanks for any advise,

Rabbits don’t need their own room. Pet rabbit people are crazy. My rule of thumb is three to four hops worth of space, if that makes sense. Double that for two rabbits. Direct sun can actually be a problem for rabbits as they don’t handle heat super well, so shade will be much better for them. My rabbits have artificial light only, no complaints yet. :lol: What you’re describing would work but is not necessary for healthy happy rabbits. They are much more low maintenance than the internet would have you believe.

About pet rabbits in Florida, "access to" indirect sun in the summer is "generally" best . direct sun in winter is OK so long as they still have a place to get in out of the heat. The main concern is providing a place to get in and cool down-[about 80 degrees or less] As rabbits get older this is increasingly true. Rabbits "generally" ...,have a upper temperature limit of about 90 degrees, and less as they age..
Rabbits enjoy getting out to play, and hop around, especially if there is a grassy area and other safe plants to nibble on. --- I think your idea for your rabbit housing is a wonderful idea... Be sure the electric cords are either up or protected- rabbits are famous for eating cords - sometimes with lethal effect.. so- as long as your rabbits have the ability to come inside where it is cool- either direct or indirect sun is just fine ...

thanks for the replies. Sometimes I read too much and second guess my ideas when people that have big bedrooms that are "bunny" rooms talk. I was worried them being indoor bunnies that they needed direct sun at times for the vit.D.
When I'm home I would let them come and go thru the little door to access the lanai as they wish so they could also come back in as they wish.
If I construct a wooden hutch will they chew all the wood? I know we will use chicken wire for some of the side areas but will they chew the wood frame?

Yes, they will chew the wood if they can get at it -- especially if their choices for enjoyable chewing are limited. You can cover the wooden parts with something like hardware cloth to prevent this.

A section of a branch from a SAFE tree with the bark on will discourage this. Poplar, elm, apple, pear, sugar maple, and willow are all safe -- see the Safe Plants sticky in the Natural Feeding forum for the Latin names if you are in doubt. Do not go by common regional names.
safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html

And please, do not use chicken wire. It's not strong enough to keep other animals out and often will not even keep rabbits in. Use welded wire, no larger than 1" squares,to keep them safe.

Rabbits should not be placed in direct sunlight in hot locations/weather. I have raised sisters together who only started fighting once they reached adulthood so be careful to watch for bloody ears, missing hair etc. since they won't always fight around you. The rabbits can chew through chicken wire easily. Not every rabbit does but do you want to find out when he/she is gone?

schwem":1o6pl37j said:
If I construct a wooden hutch will they chew all the wood? I know we will use chicken wire for some of the side areas but will they chew the wood frame?

They might gnaw some edges, but normally that's not a big issue. Well, I put a replaceable wooden gnawing boards to the lower end of the hutch doors, since that is where they really like to gnaw when design allows it.

There is another way to stop them gnawing certain parts - paint it with deluted rabbit urine, rinse off and let it dry, you wont notice anything, but for a rabbit it still smells soiled, and mine don't gnaw that if there's an alternative.

Latest posts

Back