Pigs with bloody noses

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
This one has got me baffled, I must admit.

I had skin problems in the last batch of pigs I raised in my pen, mange like thick skin and dry cracks along their flanks. Ivermectin sorted it out enough at least to have comfortable pigs and clean carcasses.

The pen lay idle for about 3 or so weeks and then I got these little Juliana pigs in trade for some carvings.

All has been well, fine fat happy little pigs.

Until Tuesday, when it looked like the sow had skinned the top off her snout, shallow, raw and oozing. I went through the pen to find what she had done it on but no signs of anything at all she could have injured herself on.

It scabbed up and looked to be healing so I was just keeping an eye on it.

Today though the boar had it too and on closer inspection, they both had skin peeling back off their snouts, bloody cracks and swollen raw flesh around their eyes.

I caught them one by one in my catch cage where they promptly did maximum damage to their snouts trying to bang their way out :roll: but I ivermectined them and decided against putting anything on the bloody mess they made of their faces.

Then I opened the pen right up and turned them loose in the fenced yard. The boar spend 5 weeks lose and did no damage - another reason to like this breed - so they now have clean, fresh pasture to be on, lots of cover to make them feel better and fingers crossed whatever is wrong can be sorted out with their own fantastic healing powers.

But what is WRONG with them???

Poor things. :(

michaels4gardens":2qxmqznk said:
did they have shade in the pen?

Yep, deep shade. But sunburn was a good guess, I have seen horses with very bad noses from too much sun.

They are MUCH happier now, they have eaten acorns, wandered about, lay in the sun with the dogs and are now in a hollow in the back corner of the chicken pen where it is as cool as it gets in Florida.

Noses have stopped oozing and now they are covered in sandy dust, they look normal, even though I know they are not.

Later today I will go block off the pen so they can't get in and swing their water barrel round so they can reach the nipple and make them a different wallow so they can cool off.

Don't know what else to do for them really so will stand back and see how they do. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:01 pm __________ <br /><br /> Still alive, still eating, drinking, pooing, peeing. Still in pain but it seems to be less, noses are scabbing over, the boar still has swollen skin round his eyes and the sow has no swelling but is discharging white goo from her eyes and drooling/foaming at the mouth, not much but noticeable.

I have googled until I am afraid to go outside there are so many nasty diseases out there but nothing fits their symptoms.

And have learned Marion county is under a CDC health alert due to EEE.

Gosh, I should sleep good tonight! :roll:

Does EEE effect pigs? -
- I had something like what you describe in your pigs -in a pen of pigs being raised off the ground on slatted flooring. Once I moved them back to dirt and shade- it gradually went away- I have no idea what is was...

michaels4gardens":pxgu2h7x said:
Does EEE effect pigs? -
- I had something like what you describe in your pigs -in a pen of pigs being raised off the ground on slatted flooring. Once I moved them back to dirt and shade- it gradually went away- I have no idea what is was...

That is weird, mine were in a dirt pen to start with.

Today the boar's eyes are still swollen but no longer sore looking, the snouts look MUCH better and the eye discharge and drooling from the sow is almost gone.

They have ousted my dog from under his favorite Sago Palm - gods I hate sago palms - and are in his deep wallow he has dug.

I think they will make it if they keep improving like they are. Well, I hope they do anyway.

From my reading EEE is uncommon in pigs but they can get it. They are a dead end host, like mammals in general.

It may sound silly but I am glad at least one other person has had something like this in their pigs, I was starting to feel more alone than normal. :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:55 am __________ <br /><br /> M4G, did you lose any of your affected pigs and did any of them go lame?

Boar doing really well but sow now lame and shivering. Still eating though so where there is appetite, there is hope. :lol:

I didn't lose any, it seamed to be mostly a "face" infection, or allergic reaction of some sort.. I noticed no other symptoms.. I noticed that the worst affected ones- buried them selves in mud most of the time, for a week or so..

The sow is no longer lame and I think both will be just fine.

I am glad because having a 10-inch tall pig go weeenk weeenk weeenk past me as I work in the garden is just the surreal icing my life cake needs right now.

GBov":2zjwain4 said:

I am glad because having a 10-inch tall pig go weeenk weeenk weeenk past me as I work in the garden is just the surreal icing my life cake needs right now.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm sure that your pigs will have a good life as long as they are alive. The thing I like about RT is that the people here have respect for all there animals, even the animals that are destine to proved meat for the table.

Ghost":3rd60aqk said:
GBov":3rd60aqk said:

I'm glad to hear that. I'm sure that your pigs will have a good life as long as they are alive. The thing I like about RT is that the people here have respect for all there animals, even the animals that are destine to proved meat for the table.

And that RTers know that different people have animals for different reasons and THAT IS OK!

Its nice to have a safe place to ask questions! :D

:yeahthat:

It's especially nice when I get frustrated with someone (usually a casual acquaintance, but this weekend my dad made a comment) that thinks cages are a miserable existence for rabbits. I'm sorry, do you see them all chilling with their toys and nice big tiles, and happily coming to the door for chin scratches? :p :lol:

Luckily the rest of my family thinks it's fantastic that we're raising animals for food, even my vegan sister (she's getting organs and some meat for her kitty). And DH is very proud and happy to show off our lovely set-up and buns to everyone at work... the nurses at all the local hospitals have all fawned over our babies, and the guys at work think I'm a cool wife for being handy around the home and such. :oops:

Sorry, I got a little riled up... off my :soap: now. :D <br /><br /> __________ Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:32 pm __________ <br /><br /> Also:
GBov":26u5gaoe said:

:rotfl:
:lol: Too funny, GBov!

Latest posts

Back