Color help....Please.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny love

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a while and I'm still trying to figure out what these babies colors are. Now that they are 10 weeks old I was wondering if someone could maybe help me. I still can't successfully post pics. so I thought maybe if I could describe them someone may have an idea. I'm planning on selling them soon and would like to have an idea on the colors. One of the babies is for sure chinchilla grey with black tips. One is for sure opal as it is dove grey with the classic tan triangle at the nap of the neck. There are 3 others though that look opal but they have white at the nap of the neck instead of tan. What color would those be? There is one that is super light grey no other color. Not sure on that one. Then there is a super weird one. It looks chestnut agouti on top, chinchilla on the sides, 4 tan feet, they almost appear white, and a patch of scattered white hairs between the eyes and nose, tan muzzle, dark ear lacing, brown eyes :? . All of the other babies have blue eyes, except the chinchilla. The mom is chestnut agouti. The dad is solid blue, but he has 2 strips of white on one ear. I think he is Vienna marked because I had a kit recently that was white with blue eyes, but it was starting to get dark points when it died at 2 weeks old. so I'm not sure if that means it was Vienna marked or if pointed naturally have blue eyes? I would truly appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

The one that look opal but have white instead are probably either squirrels (the chinchinchilla version of opal, where all orange pigment is replaced by white) or snowballed opals (where the undercolor over the whole body is white). The last one sounds like a vienna marked chestnut; they can get heavy countershading on the sides. You can upload pictures to imgur.com and put the urls here too.

:yeahthat:

Yup, photos would be best so we can try to be accurate. I'd especially like to see the potential squirrels, I think it's such a cool color! :oops:

I can walk you through how to post from your phone if that helps? You do need to resize the images to fit but there is a nifty sitehttp://resizeimage.net/ Just upload and change the largest pixel number to 1000 and drop to normal compression. Download the image to your device then when you go to post scroll down under save draft to upload attachment, click on browse then your image should be in your download file, then add file. And Bobs your uncle!

This is the wierd one. :?

__________ Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:04 pm __________

This is one of the opal colored with the white on the back of the neck, not a very good picture though. It only shows on the top of the ears. I'll get a better picture tomarrow. Thank you Shea for walking me through the picture posting.

__________ Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:12 pm __________

This is the lighter baby. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:30 pm __________ <br /><br /> Opal.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 1,223
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 1,219
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 1,217
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 1,212
Would you consider the rusty chinchilla Vienna marked? <br /><br /> __________ Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:31 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here is a picture of the opal with the white.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 1,204
I have no experience with the vienna gene so I cant comment, but I dont see any obvious white marks. And that one to me looks more like a squirrel then an opal.

Here is a pic of one of my rusty chins, the shading is supposed to molt out as they age.

Attachments

• 20180511_182313.jpg
    20180511_182313.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,201
Wow! That's cool. We shall see if this one molts out. I'm keeping it as it's a doe and I'm working on a 4 generation pedigree. These babies are my first generation.

Looks like a Sable chinchilla /sable agouti, which often have more brown tones than true chinchilla

And in most of the photos it looks blue based sable chin, often called " squirrel"

Latest posts

Back