Outdoor rabbit advice

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazychickenloady

Reaction score
We are just starting to expand our farm and I couldn't be happier. I am looking for advice on our bunnies as we expand their living quarters and possibly add a few more. We are building a horse barn and plan to add a 16x16 stall for our bunnies. We will have this attached to an outdoor covered pen that measures 30x30. Both areas will have hardware cloth buried 3-5" below any "flooring" The outdoor pen will have 3 -5" of dirt planted with grass and clover. My question is: during the winter months ( We live in upstate NY) will the bunnies be warm enough if access to the outdoor pen in completely blocked off? We will be having 3-5 inches of shavings and straw on top of a rubber stall mat on top of the hardware cloth along with hides and different levels to get off the floor. We have 4 bunnies and they all love each other and will cuddle to stay warm I am sure. We just want to give our babies the best ever "non cage" cage they could want. They are not breeders as all are fixed they are just pets and pieces of our family. So we want them as happy and safe as possible.

Yeah they will be fine. We get down to -5ish for several weeks at a time during cold snaps. My colony is in my barn, concrete floors. They have about 3 inches of straw bedding but they move that around so some spots are bare. They are much more comfortable than the hutch bunnies. The only issue is the waterer freezing. They have a standard chicken waterer. I use a small animal hard cased heating pad for beneath. It is much lower temp than the chicken warmers and keeps that nicely thawed out but not hot.

Latest posts

Back