Ear infection?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blossom

Reaction score
I have a very nervous year old buck who seems to have some balance issues when disturbed. When I stand back from his cage and just look at him, he seems fine. Maybe one ear is being held a bit funny (pointed out to one side) but I'm not sure. However when, I get him out to exercise he tends to hop in medium size circle (always the same direction) a lot more frequently then my others. What really scared me today is I was changing his cage and three times he stood up on his hind legs then toppled over to the same side that he spins. He is eating well, his poop is fine, no discharge anywhere. Vet time or just clumsy?

update: going to vet in an hour. If he has EC should I try to get meds for all 8 of my buns?

If he has EC , it is contagious, - so- has he been in close contact with the others? If he has not- then isolate him from the others [It is spread by urine] if-- The meds are expensive...- garlic chives, or garlic tops work just as good- but just like the meds- it must be fed for the entire life of the rabbit.

The vet just gave me both meds for EC and an ear infection, so I am still not sure. He is currently in the same room as the others but I put plexi-glass between him and his neighbors ages ago because of the spraying. Sometimes I do let him exercise with my neutered bucks but I'll definitely stop doing that. Thanks for the garlic suggestion, I'll probably do that when his current dose runs out. What should I look for in my others? Just what I'm seeing from him?

Blossom":1474q29n said:
The vet just gave me both meds for EC and an ear infection, so I am still not sure. He is currently in the same room as the others but I put plexi-glass between him and his neighbors ages ago because of the spraying. Sometimes I do let him exercise with my neutered bucks but I'll definitely stop doing that. Thanks for the garlic suggestion, I'll probably do that when his current dose runs out. What should I look for in my others? Just what I'm seeing from him?

The protozoa that causes EC effects the central nervous system, so- if the damage is in the brain area, the effect is usually evidenced by listing to one side, apparently losing balance for no reason, circling, or falling over to one side, difficulty getting up from a lying position, flailing while on their side. It is usually first noticed when the rabbit is excited...
If the damage is in the spine area , then rear end weakness, IE: one hind leg looks weaker than the other, or one side sits lower than the other when walking, or standing. this can progress to total rear end paralysis if left untreated.

It is only fair to warn you, --as the rabbit get older, the immune system get weaker, and the disease is much more likely to begin to take over- so- you should be prepared to end his life humanely when / if this happens.

It is easy to grow a nice little plot of garlic chives, and include a nice big hand full when you feed, -2 or 3 times a week.

Back