Register

Rabbit questions for a newbie

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
BunnyBucks: 20.00

Rabbit questions for a newbie

Post Number:#1  Unread postby GreenMan0352 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:49 am

Good morning all! I am wanting to get into raising rabbits primarily for meat. I love rabbit meat and have been doing research. From what I’ve concluded there is no perfect breed for meat rabbits and that many people prefer a cross. I was wanting to purchase a few creme d'argent as well as some New Zealand whites. For me the description of these more are what I’m going for and I also wanted to crossbreed them at some point. I just have questions. First and foremost are these good meat rabbits? Or did I get bad information?

__________ Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:49 am __________

Also I live in a small town in mid West Texas. I was hoping someone knew of someone near Denver city, Tx that sales either of the two mentioned breeds?

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,232.00

Re: Rabbit questions for a newbie

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:22 pm

I like both breeds as meat rabbits, [make sure the ones you buy, actually look like meat rabbits]
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

BunnyBucks: 20.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby GreenMan0352 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:10 pm

michaels4gardens wrote:I like both breeds as meat rabbits, [make sure the ones you buy, actually look like meat rabbits]

Most definitely! Thanks for the response by the way. Now to find someone within a reasonable distance that I can meet.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,108.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SableSteel » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:09 am

Honestly, new zealand whites are as close as you'll come to a perfect meat rabbit. Most the good crosses are new zealand white crosses. Either way, you'll be selectively breeding for meat type, mothering skills, hardiness and growth rate. The best thing to do would be to find a breeder who considered those things during breeding; show meat pen rabbits usually make pretty good meat rabbits from my experience, with good type but also good growth rate (maximum age for showing a meat pen is 10 weeks. mine were about 5-5.5 lbs at 9.5 weeks when I would show them). Creme d'argents are usually pretty rare, and the ones out there that you find were usually bred more for show than mean. Champagne d'argents are a similar breed, but are slightly larger, hardier and tend to be more common of meat rabbits.
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,232.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:00 am

If you don't find "exactly" what you are looking for, -- I think-- you will not go wrong [for meat production] using Californian [or California white] , and New Zealand white. I like F1 crosses of the two for production does.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 13,030.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby GBov » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:12 pm

Or if you are totally new to raising rabbits, get some meat mutts to learn on. Any medium to large, cheap rabbits on Craigslist, a buck and a few does.

I LOVE slightly older breeders for starting out, the rabbits know the ropes and can teach YOU what you need to know.

Sellers will tell you all about the rabbits, litter sizes and mothering skills and if they don't, go somewhere else for your bunnies.

BIG CAGES with BIG DOORS, really, that will make your life so much easier and the rabbits so much more comfortable.

Breed your "starter" rabbits for a year or two and then go for a breed you want, learning on high priced purebreds gives a level of stress you seriously do not need. ;)

And last but not least, you have come to the right place for all about rabbits, the best forum ever!

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
MaggieJ, michaels4gardens, Nymphadora, Zass