Herd update for today

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
Well, this morning I went out and checked all the buns. In the main shed, no snot, maybe one or two sneezes and only the two that were already sneezing. No sneezing, snot or anything from the other two. I have put dividers between the cages to keep them from spreading anything to each other and am using fresh gloves for each cage that I feed/clean/pet etc. All the babies look good, growing, eating, trying to escape the boxes.

Cupcake has a little crusty stuff on that one nostril still and she is remaining separated until we figure this out.

My hubby tells me that when he removed Cupcake, he liberally sprayed the area with 90% alcohol. I am thinking that the fumes/spray irritated the other buns and caused their sneezing, as it seems to be resolving. Cupcake, on the other hand, is now coughing and sounds bad. She is not eating or drinking much...I think she is really sick. Since I removed her before she started coughing and 1) there were a couple of feet of space between her and the other does, 2) there was a plastic divider between her and Sonic, that MAYBE we got her out in time and the others were just reacting to the alcohol fumes.

I wouldn't overly worry about the other rabbits since they aren't getting worse. When we had some kits with snotty noses my research found that these days nearly all rabbits will be exposed to pastuerella and other respiratory bacteria several times during their life. I think the numbers were 80% were found to be carrying the bacteria already so preventing exposure is really pointless and culling entire herds when some get sick is also pointless. They will all be exposed eventually and they will either show symptoms or they won't. The ones that don't aren't the ones that weren't around sick rabbits or don't have the bacteria. They are the ones with an immune system to handle it despite exposure. Cull the ones that show symptoms and eventually it will never be a problem even when you accidentally bring home a sick rabbit or visit somewhere with sick rabbits.

Personally I have sold rabbits that showed minor symptoms and recovered on their own to be pets but anything that would require meds to recover I'd butcher. Even if you sell them as pets it can become a recurrent problem since like I said they will be exposed throughout their life (everytime someone goes to a show, petstore, feedstores with pets, a friend's house with rabbits, etc..) and they often continue to carry the bacteria so they repeatedly get ill if they don't have a good enough immune system. The ones I sold were stressed by several overlapping events while being exposed to their first real illness and they have never shown symptoms again, according to their current owners, so I don't feel bad selling them as pets and using their parents and siblings for breeding. No older rabbits got sick and we haven't seen it again despite visiting a barn that had a current outbreak and about 4' deep of rabbit poop under the cages. I wanted to burn my shoes when I got home but I wore my good hiking shoes.

Thanks so much for this post! The Cali's are all doing well. :D No more symptoms at all. Cupcake, on the other hand, is not good. :( I will most likely put her down. If there is one good thing about this whole situation, it is that I have learned a valuable lesson....if I don't know where the rabbit came from and have not seen where it was grown, I don't want it!

akane":u5r45opa said:
I wouldn't overly worry about the other rabbits since they aren't getting worse. When we had some kits with snotty noses my research found that these days nearly all rabbits will be exposed to pastuerella and other respiratory bacteria several times during their life. I think the numbers were 80% were found to be carrying the bacteria already so preventing exposure is really pointless and culling entire herds when some get sick is also pointless. They will all be exposed eventually and they will either show symptoms or they won't. The ones that don't aren't the ones that weren't around sick rabbits or don't have the bacteria. They are the ones with an immune system to handle it despite exposure. Cull the ones that show symptoms and eventually it will never be a problem even when you accidentally bring home a sick rabbit or visit somewhere with sick rabbits.

Personally I have sold rabbits that showed minor symptoms and recovered on their own to be pets but anything that would require meds to recover I'd butcher. Even if you sell them as pets it can become a recurrent problem since like I said they will be exposed throughout their life (everytime someone goes to a show, petstore, feedstores with pets, a friend's house with rabbits, etc..) and they often continue to carry the bacteria so they repeatedly get ill if they don't have a good enough immune system. The ones I sold were stressed by several overlapping events while being exposed to their first real illness and they have never shown symptoms again, according to their current owners, so I don't feel bad selling them as pets and using their parents and siblings for breeding. No older rabbits got sick and we haven't seen it again despite visiting a barn that had a current outbreak and about 4' deep of rabbit poop under the cages. I wanted to burn my shoes when I got home but I wore my good hiking shoes.

Lesson Number Two: Bring in new rabbits as seldom as you can and always isolate them for at least a month. Care for them after your other rabbits to avoid carrying germs from the new rabbit to the others.

MaggieJ":19k0hpzy said:
Lesson Number Two: Bring in new rabbits as seldom as you can and always isolate them for at least a month. Care for them after your other rabbits to avoid carrying germs from the new rabbit to the others.

Absolutely! Question....if I bring in a few more from the same place I got my original rabbits, is the procedure still the same?

Oh... sorry to hear that lil' Cupcake isnt improving. Thats a pity, but sadly, the nature of things.
As far as getting new rabbits from the same location you got cupcake... you may want to reconsider or you might find yurself in this same situation again. On the other hand, if they are properly isolated and then gradually introduced to the herd it could be fine. I wish you the best of luck... what a tough lesson you have had to deal with recently. Best wishes your way that all will be well soon. :)

Pickles":zxalu6sl said:
Oh... sorry to hear that lil' Cupcake isnt improving. Thats a pity, but sadly, the nature of things.
As far as getting new rabbits from the same location you got cupcake... you may want to reconsider or you might find yurself in this same situation again. On the other hand, if they are properly isolated and then gradually introduced to the herd it could be fine. I wish you the best of luck... what a tough lesson you have had to deal with recently. Best wishes your way that all will be well soon. :)

Actually I meant the same breeder that I purchased my Cali's from. I have been there, seen the environment, seen the condition of his herd. I will NOT be getting any more animals from the place I got Cupcake. I don't want to go thru this again!

fuzzy9":utnd8059 said:
How's everybody doing?

Doing good! Even Cupcake seems better, except for a little cough every once in a while. I may just "pet" her out to someone, with disclosure of her symptoms.

Latest posts

Back