Concerned about J-feeder placement

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kent

Reaction score
Hi folks. I read that some advise that the bottom of the J-feeder should be placed 4 inches above cage floor. However, I am concerned that the kits may struggle to reach it initially. What is the experience of RT members? I just built 8 cages that have the slot cut 4 inches above the floor but my older original cages have the J-feeders 2 inches above the floor. These new cages do not yet have bunnies.

I don't think 4 inches off the floor will be a problem, but if it proves to be too high for very young kits you could give them a low dish until they grow a little or you could put a brick or a block of wood by the feeder to act as a step.

A brick against the end of the nest box (outside the box) is helpful if the kits leave the nest early. It acts a step to help them get back into the box when they need to warm up.

I let the size of wire I use for the door front dictate feeder placement height. That said all mine are 3-4" off the floor. I use a piece of scrap 2x4 at the nest box and feeders for a step for the little ones and it gives them something to chew on. Before long they become toys and begin moving around the hutch but by that time they don't need it for a step anymore. Just use scrap kiln dried lumber, never treated.

Guess it really depends on what you raise. Mine are Flemish Giants and never really use them for anything but chew toys. :lol:

With my Red New Zealand's i keep the feeders at 4 inches off the floor. When little kits are out and about i just feed them with a small crock. When the kits start to jump out of the nest box. I just turn it on its side. Easy out easy in.

Back