Does this mean broken magpie?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
So not long after I posted about correcting someone's answer on social media I took a closer look at one of my does. I thought she was just a broken black, but noticed slight stripe patters really noticable when looking at her back. Anyway she looked potentially like a broken magpie. I decided to test the theory and I bred her to my Japanese harlequin buck. Well 2 days ago 5 kits were born. Now that their fur is coming in I can see there are 4 japanese harlequins and one Tri-color. Based off the other post I made, that Tri-colored kit means she IS in fact a broken magpie right? I could NOT get a Tri-color from a broken black, correct? Picture of my doe

Attachments

• img_20180331_1752412111-e1525434773152.jpg
    img_20180331_1752412111-e1525434773152.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,083
not sure on the genetics really, but she looks just like a broken magpie i bred this year (out of a broken harlequined chinchilla and a japanese harlequin.)

tumblr_p6dd8iAIhW1vlx0zao1_1280.jpg

i'd never really seen a broken magpie before but i think i might be a fan of them!

She does look broken magpie to me but you could easily get a tricolor from a broken black, especially if the other parent was a harlequin, as long as the broken black carried non extension or harlequin.

never knew there was such a thing as a broken magpie. My assumption has always been "poorly marked harlequin". How does one differentiate between the two?

ladysown":1alfmag8 said:
never knew there was such a thing as a broken magpie. My assumption has always been "poorly marked harlequin". How does one differentiate between the two?

A magpie has no yellow red pigment. Think harlequin in black and white. A broken magpie will look like a tri but all black an white.

that still makes no sense to me.

black and white, chocolate and white, lilac and white, blue and white.. these are all magpie colours.

Magpie is magpie whether poorly marked or not. The idea of differentiating a broken magpie from a non-broken magpie. Seriously HOW do you do it? would you just say all poorly marked magpies are broken????

A magpie is not a tricolour, a tricolour could be called broken harlequin. I just don't see the broken magpie bit.

that still makes no sense to me.

black and white, chocolate and white, lilac and white, blue and white.. these are all magpie colours.

Magpie is magpie whether poorly marked or not. The idea of differentiating a broken magpie from a non-broken magpie. Seriously HOW do you do it? would you just say all poorly marked magpies are broken????

A magpie is not a tricolour, a tricolour could be called broken harlequin. I just don't see the broken magpie bit.
Stripes vs spots basically

Thats an broken magpie:
Yes, its the difference between brindled/striped and dalmatian pointed.
The english spotting gene changes the migrating of color cells, seems like the dark ones are some quicker to get in the skin and proliferate there around the first one (pigment cells only goes to areas not yet occupied by other ones. Looks like the yellow ones arrive later and fill in the spaces left by the dark ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back