A memorial project

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Sorry, no pictures yet but I thought I would mention it as it turned out so well.

My daughters favorite and much beloved bunny died earlier this year and so, as one does, I took the hide for later use and we buried the rest with all due ceremony.

At her insistence, I hasten to add!

So I tanned it this weekend and while it turned out well, it was very rounded and rabbit shaped and as a memorial, I thought it was lacking that certain something. :roll:

Having a piece of fabric she really likes, very soft and pastel pretty, I took a bit of it, drew the shape of the hide on it, and giving myself a half inch all round extra, I cut it out and stitched it onto the back side of the hide. The overlap came up and over the top of the hide so I carefully pushed the fur out of the way as I stitched. With the hide sandwiched between the layers of fabric, it should be able to withstand some actual use and not be just for looking at.

I used a stitch that has no name I can find but if you loop the loose thread around the needle, going left, up and over the point after it goes through the fabric, it will knot on each stitch making for a tight seam. If you go right to left with the loop it just catches and looks neat and tidy so it is easy, when doing it, to know which is which. As a dyslexic describing it? Not so easy! :lol:

Once stitched almost all the way round I stuffed it with pillow fluff and finished the stitching.

Hey presto! One ultra soft pillow for cuddling.

Have to admit, I am really pleased with how this little, impromptu, project turned out. :D

She scooped it up and allowed her brother to pet, but NOT hold, it. :lol:

I can see more "Please make me one!" in my future. :roll:

Wow, that's a beautiful way to preserve both the hide and memory of a special bun... thank you for sharing with us!

I promise pictures will be taken soon. Prying it out of her hands to take a few snaps may be a problem though. :lol:

We just had to put down one of our favorite bucks after a 3 week fight to save his life. We saved his pellet too and rolled it inside out to freeze for tanning later. I just saw your post and loved the idea but there's no picture. Guess have to wing it from the description.

Sorry, no pictures yet but I thought I would mention it as it turned out so well.

My daughters favorite and much beloved bunny died earlier this year and so, as one does, I took the hide for later use and we buried the rest with all due ceremony.

At her insistence, I hasten to add!

So I tanned it this weekend and while it turned out well, it was very rounded and rabbit shaped and as a memorial, I thought it was lacking that certain something. :roll:

Having a piece of fabric she really likes, very soft and pastel pretty, I took a bit of it, drew the shape of the hide on it, and giving myself a half inch all round extra, I cut it out and stitched it onto the back side of the hide. The overlap came up and over the top of the hide so I carefully pushed the fur out of the way as I stitched. With the hide sandwiched between the layers of fabric, it should be able to withstand some actual use and not be just for looking at.

I used a stitch that has no name I can find but if you loop the loose thread around the needle, going left, up and over the point after it goes through the fabric, it will knot on each stitch making for a tight seam. If you go right to left with the loop it just catches and looks neat and tidy so it is easy, when doing it, to know which is which. As a dyslexic describing it? Not so easy! :lol:

Once stitched almost all the way round I stuffed it with pillow fluff and finished the stitching.

Hey presto! One ultra soft pillow for cuddling.

Have to admit, I am really pleased with how this little, impromptu, project turned out. :D
I'd love to see a picture!

Latest posts

Back