Urgent Help Needed!!! Bloated kit!!! *Update on the baby*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
I have a group of roughly 3 week old kits that I have been having to bottle feed. I already lost one to gas build up that caused a hernia followed by her stomach rupturing during the night. Now I have another kit that is swelled up like a balloon, and I don't want her to go through the same pain

Attachments

• IMG_20180507_195938.jpg
    IMG_20180507_195938.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 2,164
  • IMG_20180507_200010.jpg
    IMG_20180507_200010.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 2,163
Do you have some of the baby gas relief drops? That's the only thing I have used before. They'll be next to the digestive aids in your pharmacy department, stuff like prilosec and beano. You need the infant drops kind, not tablets or pills.

Oh, I'm so sorry you are losing them!! :cry:
Infant gas drops, yes, and small animal specific probiotics if you can find them, for the other kits.
Also, is you run us through your formula and feeding routines, we might be able to find factors that are contributing to this.

I'm afraid, once a baby is bloated to that degree, there isn't much to be done, as the stretching can cause permanent damage, and they are already in extreme pain. I would advise euthanasia. :cry:

I agree with Zass--euthanasia is the kindest thing you can do for the kit at this point. I know it's a difficult decision to make, but I doubt very much that it can recover. I'm sorry you -- and the kits -- are having to go through this.

She made it through? That's great! :D

Do you know what caused the problem? If you care to give us details of their feeding, as Zass suggested, we'll do our best to help you troubleshoot so it doesn't happen again.

I believe what caused it is that I ran out of hay, and hadn't been able to get any more. Because of that I had to put straw in for their bedding, and I think she had eaten some. I have been feeding them twice a day with goat milk with Ben-Bac in it, and have been for a week. Since they just turned 3 weeks old I also gave them a bowl of water and a pinch of pellets so they can start nibbling. Again though the problem arose when I had tswap to straw bedding for them so I believe that was the cause

Yes! Thank you for reminding me that I need to get more of those. One of those must haves in the rabbit first aid kit. I also keep an electrolyte supplement for water especially with summer coming.

I think y'all will appreciate a good update on the baby that was so badly bloated!! She is still alive and doing great!! She is on the left in the picture

Attachments

• IMG_20180720_154539.jpg
    IMG_20180720_154539.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 2,051

Latest posts

Back