Blood from vagina

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a doe I held back from one of my breedings. She's due to kindle on the 15th

I cleaned her cage tonight and like usual I pet her and then held her. As I was petting her she was doing some squeaking. I didnt think too much of it as I figured shes probably miserable being so close to kindling.

When I picked her up I held her by putting her belly against mine. When I went to put her back I saw blood on my shirt. I looked at her bottom area and seen blood there too.

She also has hair pulled. I'm wondering if I interrupted her at the start of her kindling? I've never held a rabbit right before they kindled. Is this normal or should I be worried?

She still hasn't had any after I put her back but I heard they can hold off if stressed? And she is more on the nervous side and dummy me was holding her. Im about to the turn the lights off and go to bed. So she will again have privacy.

I hope this is normal.. I hope I didnt interrupt her while kindling.. and I hope she and the kits will be ok..

Any info on this?

PS I'm also gonna count the days again. I have it marked on the 15th that shes due. All my bunnies have always went on day 31 except 2 litters were like a half a day longer. I know they can go early just haven't had it happen with my rabbits yet.. <br /><br /> -- Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:00 am -- <br /><br /> So I just counted again.. today is 31! I need to give her some privacy and hope she will be ok!!!

Yes, give her some privacy by all means . . . but she will probably be just fine. You may have stressed her a little by holding her, and that may delay her kindling for a bit, but I doubt you did any real harm. Some blood is pretty normal during kindling. We don't usually see any of the mess because most does clean up pretty quickly.

Please give us an update tomorrow on how she (and you!) are doing. :clover: :clover: :clover:

Ty maggie.. you're the best!!!

I've seen moms right after with some blood down there just never handled them before kindling so I wasnt sure if it was normal. And with it being (or so i thought) a day early I was pretty worried. But when I marked it on my phone I was somehow a day off. No clue but its definitely something I'd do lol

And will definitely give an update tomorrow :)

Mom and dad = ALL chestnuts
Mom and son breeding= again ALL chestnuts

This was daughter bred back to dad. Hoping for Netherlands other than dang chestnuts lol if it's more chestnuts imma ram my head into the wall lol :wall: <br /><br /> -- Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:50 pm -- <br /><br /> Ok I'm getting worried about kitty (that's her name) and the unborn kits. I still see some blood down there but no babies..

Does she seem distressed in any way? A bit of bloody discharge is fairly normal but if the bleeding is severe then there could be a problem. She really isn't that much overdue . . . Do you think perhaps you are stressing unnecessarily?

I suggest you try giving her a TUMS (calcium-based antacid) for a calcium boost. It can really help and it will do no harm.

Keep us up to date. I'll try to look in sometime overnight to see how it's going.

I tried giving a tums, she wont eat it. Also tried lavender she wouldnt touch it. So I grinded the lavender up and mixed it with a little banana she ate a little of it.

I've never seen any of my buns pushing and nothing came out. I know shes technically not over due, but the blood (definitely not a lot little dribbles) from last night and still today, and contractions and no babies, I really am freaking out lol. Could be unnecessary but this situation is very new to me and she is a tiny doe.

She doesn't seem too distressed, uncomfortable maybe.. laying down, sitting and pushing. Laying down, sitting and pushing.

So fingers crossed I'm worrying for nothing. I truly hope that's the case.

Okay, you didn't say before that she is in obvious labour. She will probably kindle overnight, but if she doesn't you may need a vet's assistance, if that is an option. Usually rabbits in labour finish within 24-36 hours (active labour). I have no firsthand experience of this kind of problem (it's rare in meat-mutts) so I really cannot advise you beyond this point. I know that sounds like a cop-out, but I simply do not have the experience you need. I suggest you edit the title to something like "Blood from vagina -urgent advice needed!"

I'm not deserting you, but I just don't know enough about Netherlands to be much help. :(

Well came home from the movies, she had one kit hanging out, I kind of moved the skin around her area back and the kit fell out, definitely dead. Its veryyyy stretched. But only this one so far.
At this point I dont have much hope for the rest of the kits assuming there are more. Just hoping kitty will be ok <br /><br /> -- Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:44 pm -- <br /><br /> Now she hair pulling again.. hopefully the rest will come out easy

JMHO -- the best thing you can do is keep her comfortable temperature wise, don't handle her, and give her privacy - if she does have trouble,- you trying to "help" is usually just adding to her troubles - especially, since you said she is a nervous rabbit.

Hoping to hear that she kindled the rest overnight and is okay now. The dead kit may have been stuck and she had to pull it. That would account for it being elongated, and also for the prolonged labour.

Sounds like she got through it all right. is three a typical litter for Netherlands?

You'll want to keep an eye on her eating and drinking, pooping and peeing to make sure all systems are working, and also keep an eye on her vagina for any unusual discharge or odour. But she'll probably be fine.

Skittles her mom, had a litter of 3, 4 and 5. So I honestly dont know what a typical litter size is for my nethies. But this breed does have small litters. I will definitely keep an eye on her!!! Ty Maggie :) <br /><br /> -- Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:51 pm -- <br /><br /> I dont know if I should try breeding her again or not. This was her first litter. Shes about 5-6 months old

Usually the advice is to go ahead and breed again, but if this bunny is a favourite, I'd suggest waiting a bit, making sure she is truly healthy again, before breeding her a second time. This isn't a "should" -- but I got the impression you were quite distressed at the prospect of losing her as well as the kits. Based on that degree of attachment, I think a little time taken now might be a good idea.

It sounds like she came through it ok, and I'm glad for you and her that she did.
The stretched out one marks that she did indeed have one stuck, and its tough for the ones behind in the birth canal. 3 sounds pretty typical for an ND. Is it possible she is a false dwarf? Sometimes their kits are also false dwarfs and a bit larger, and tend to get stuck more often.
Good luck on your future breedings. :)

Back