Kit color question....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny love

Reaction score
My French lop doe has 10 kits that are 1 week old. They all have the white bellies and inside of the ears and some are beginning to get the white eye circles. All appear to be agouti. 2 of the kits are dark black so they would be chestnut right? 2 are dark brown what would they be? 5 of the kits are different shades of blue (Grey). And 1 is pink I'm assuming it will be white? Are the Grey kits with white bellies considered opal? Or are they blue? My doe is a chestnut agouti and the buck is all blue no white. I would post pics, but I can't figured out how. Any guesses?

Dilute and white bellies would be opal (might be blue otter too, but that's very rare in this breed, at least in the US)

Blue is a 'solid' color in rabbits, i.e. not an agouti based color. When you have agouti + blue, then it becomes 'Opal'. At least, in English angoras, not all rabbit breeds have the same color names. It's a pretty color.

The dark brown one with a white belly and white eye circles would be a chocolate agouti. At least, if it's an English angora. Not sure if the color name would change if it's a different breed.

The pink will be most likely a Ruby Eyed White. If you have the Vienna gene in your herd, it could be a Blue Eyed White, although most likely it is REW. Although, I think REW is dominant over BEW so it could be both? Genetically speaking, of course. On the outside, a white rabbit is a white rabbit. In any case, if it's pink at birth, it will be white as an adult.

The REW is just a 'whitewash' over what ever color the rabbit would be if it weren't albino. Which is something to keep track of if you're breeding for specific colors later.

Since the babies are the offspring of a solid color of rabbit, the blue buck, and an agouti, the chestnut doe, all the offspring will have a recessive for solid colors even though they all appear agouti. Well, except for the pink one, that one could possibly be a solid color although at this point it can't be determined. More than likely the doe doesn't have a recessive for solid colors or you'd have seen a few more non-agouti in there, but it's not certain since the statistical sample size is so small.

Thanks for the replies. There is such a mix of different shades of grey including one really light greyish tan kit with some orange coming in at the base of it's skull. Super pretty. I'm thinking it might be lynx. The little brown kits, there's 2, also have tan coming in on the base of the skull and brown ear lacing. I believe my doe may be chocolate agouti. Her ring color is black at the base, light tan, then brown, with tan guard hairs. I've been trying to post pictures but it says they are too large and I haven't been able to figure out how to resize them. I'll keep working on it. :?

bunny love":uikxvo4w said:
I've been trying to post pictures but it says they are too large and I haven't been able to figure out how to resize them. I'll keep working on it. :?
If you have the Paint program on your computer, give this a try:
*Open picture in Microsoft Paint
*Click the "Resize" button (next to the "Select" button in the upper left)
*Choose "Percentage" and change the values to 50
*Save the picture

If that doesn't work, keep resizing until you find the right percentage. 50 percent usually works for me, but that hasn't been with photos from my nice camera... so it might change depending on the device used to take the picture. :oops:

bunny love":eoqtdqta said:
I've been trying to post pictures but it says they are too large and I haven't been able to figure out how to resize them. I'll keep working on it. :?

Some other things that work:
View the picture in your picture program, open snipping tool, and use it to 'screenshot' that picture. Then save that.
Or upload the image to imgur.com or another image hosting website and post the link here

I use resizeimage.net to resize. Upload your pic , scroll down change largest pixel count to 1000, compress image to normal quality then click resize and you're done. And can download from there. Works on computers and smartphones.

Back