Just lost my favorite doe. Any ideas why?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
As stated in the title, I lost my favorite doe today. I just couldn't bring myself to do an autopsy though. It all started yesterday afternoon when I brought her inside because she was getting way too hot despite my best efforts. I slowly let her cool down on the hardwood floors. I noticed when I picked her up to bring her in she looked bloated and had weepy eyes. I gave her gas drops after she cooled off to try and get rid of the bloating. Along with the drops I messaged her stomach a bit and had her hop around the living room. It seemed it was helping, but I had to get to bed for work so I set her up in a pen indoors with only hay and water available to her. This morning she seemed out of it. She would panick and grunt/whine when I picked her up, and her eyes wouldn't focus on anything. She was also casually going in circles this morning. She'd move a few steps and stop for a moment. Over and over she did this in a circle. There was no signs of bowel movement in her cage litter so I gave her some pro biotics, and after about an hour I gave her 4ccs of mineral oil before I headed to work in an attempt to get her gut moving. I came home to find her streatched out as if she was napping, but dead. She was a 1yr old doe that had weaned off a litter almost 2 weeks ago. Any ideas of what could have happened to her?

With the heat, my first guess would be that her body temperature got to a point that she had a seizure, one you may never have even noticed. That damaged her brain (hence the circles and glassy eyes), and there was just nothing you could have done at that point.

I'm so very sorry you lost her. It is never easy.

Latest posts

Back