AAACCKKK! What did I do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
Ok, now I am terrified that my impulsive purchase of Cupcake has put my other buns and babies at risk! :oops: I should know better than to do things on a whim, but that is part and parcel who I am sometimes.....I have ordered some Vanocide to clean with and will be watching very closely. The interesting thing is that it is only one nostril....The other one is completely clear and she is not sneezing at all.

I'd put some apple cider vinegar in all their water, just to be safe. Maybe a couple of tablespoons per gallon? I put it in until it turns an off-red color but still translucent.

Where are you getting the Vanodine? I finally decided to start using it last week but I keep seeing that the company that imports it decided not to renew some EPA license. I really want it.

Adam

cedarrun":2vh90zda said:
Where are you getting the Vanodine? I finally decided to start using it last week but I keep seeing that the company that imports it decided not to renew some EPA license. I really want it.

Adam

bunnyrabbit.com

Shipping is almost as much as the Vanodine but i really want it.

did she ever have coloured snot or has it all been clear?

I suspect if it's clear snot she might just be fine and is reacting to something in her environment.

so don't freak out yet until you have a better handle on what is going on. Freak out enough to exercise good isolation tactics...but not so much that you are running afeared. :)

ok, ok, I will remain calm...or at least try to. She has been removed from the shed, what should I be looking for in terms of it progressing badly? As I said, no sneezing other than when she got a snoot full of water....

Sticky, matted fur on the front paws, coloured snot, increased sneezing with discharge, runny eyes... In general, a worsening of the symptoms.

It may well be something in the environment. KatzND has already seen an improvement in her rabbits since cutting out certain things in the rabbits' vicinity.

MaggieJ":1h2r1c1o said:
Sticky, matted fur on the front paws, coloured snot, increased sneezing with discharge, runny eyes... In general, a worsening of the symptoms.

It may well be something in the environment. KatzND has already seen an improvement in her rabbits since cutting out certain things in the rabbits' vicinity.

I will get a pic when I get home tonight, but as far as I can tell her eyes are clear and no matting or sneezing. Could be the hay, or maybe fines/dust from the feed. I was using up the last of a bag and it had alot of pellet dust at the bottom.

Fines will certainly cause sneezing!
I also am still amazed at the fact that so many people panic at a sneeze-- but then, I am being anxious about Marsha---and i do know, from experience, how fast something can run through a herd---, and how quickly a herd can be wiped out. Gonna cross fingers for Cupcake

So now cupcake is sneezing, has a snotty nose... :(

Worse, Amy and Padme have started sneezing and Amy has some whitish snot in one of her nostrils... :cry:

I feel like such an idiot...I did this...What do I do?

Can the babies be saved? Can I treat the moms till weaning?

You want to retain the kits that show no symptoms,
but keep a close eye on them as they mature.
Should any signs of illness appear I would CULL.
If they remain symptom free, they are the ones
with the resistance and you should restart your breeding program with them.
Continue to cull toward rabbit herd health.
Best of luck with this bad situation.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Oh no! Sorry to hear that your herd is having difficulties. Dont have any advice to offer, but I will send positive thoughts your way that all will be well and your buns will be on the mend soon!

I wouldn't panic yet. You did say the feed was dusty. Perhaps Cupcake is just more sensitive to it so she reacted first.

I had a bit of concern this morning when one of my does started sneezing while I was doing the morning feeding. It quickly got much worse over about 20 minutes and she had snot running from both nostrils and looked like a human with the flu. Suddenly she sneezed so hard I thought a lung was going to come out her nose but instead a sunflower seed came out. She was fine after that.

Shannon, stay calm. If it is something in their environment (like the fines, or pollen or a different cleaning agent or whatever) it is not so surprising that the others are showing symptoms as well.

If it turns out to be snuffles, then you will handle it. What you need to do for the moment is treat the rabbits as best you can so you can raise out the litters and then make your longer term decisions based on how things play out. But do make every effort not to carry on clothing, hands, shoes etc. any germs from your rabbits to anyone else's. If you have rabbit friends, stay away from their rabbitries for the time being.

research that I've done suggests that early weaning is VITAL in protecting the kits. Remove them at 3.5 weeks and completely get them away from mom and any sneezing rabbits. Apparently momma's milk is an important factor.

after you have removed environmental factors you'll be faced with this ....

But honestly the best solution... Remove from herd anything that is sneezing coloured snot. The long term health of your herd is of strong importance. THIS is where you teach your daughter hard lessons in animal husbandry. Teach her how snuffles is more than sneezing...long term snuffles affect their bones...and they will deteriorate...and for an animal born to hop and run wild...does she want that for her bunny?

ladysown":ohtljxg3 said:
research that I've done suggests that early weaning is VITAL in protecting the kits. Remove them at 3.5 weeks and completely get them away from mom and any sneezing rabbits. Apparently momma's milk is an important factor.

after you have removed environmental factors you'll be faced with this ....

But honestly the best solution... Remove from herd anything that is sneezing coloured snot. The long term health of your herd is of strong importance. THIS is where you teach your daughter hard lessons in animal husbandry. Teach her how snuffles is more than sneezing...long term snuffles affect their bones...and they will deteriorate...and for an animal born to hop and run wild...does she want that for her bunny?

I think you are referring to Kat with the Netherland dwarfs. She is the one with the bunny belonging to the daughter. My rabbits are Cali meat rabbits.

So,what you are telling me is to wean at 3.5 weeks and then cull the moms if they are still exhibiting symptoms? And cull any kits that show symptoms?

__________ Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:50 pm __________

ottersatin":ohtljxg3 said:
You want to retain the kits that show no symptoms,
but keep a close eye on them as they mature.
Should any signs of illness appear I would CULL.
If they remain symptom free, they are the ones
with the resistance and you should restart your breeding program with them.
Continue to cull toward rabbit herd health.
Best of luck with this bad situation.

Dennis,

So, keep the moms till weaning and then cull them? Might they "kick off" the infection with a mild case? I certainly don't want to raise sickly rabbits. If I have to cull the whole lot, I will, I just don't want to jump too quickly and find out it wasn't necessary. I appreciate your help.<br /><br />__________ Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:53 pm __________<br /><br />For now, I am treating everybunny as if it IS snuffles. I will watch them until weaning. I just cannot believe this could happen so soon! I guess I should be glad it happened now and not when my herd is bigger. If I have to cull most or all, how soon can I get new breeders?

yup. that's what I'm saying.

sorry for the confusion with rabbits and people... my bad :(

Get them well started on hay before weaning. Have some probiotics if needed, but they should wean just fine. Generally best to take mom away. Around here...if snot is seen the rabbit is immediately moved and monitored for at least one day (in case it's something stuck) and then culled. If I have kits that need fostering I do that if it's important to do so, but otherwise....gone gone gone.

I rarely if ever see snot. Culling through head amputation is vital to maintaining herd health particularly if you want to maintain herd health without the use of medications.

Can the feed store or the breeder he got the rabbits from be held responsible? or should they at least be notified? I don't want to just not say anything and have others lose their rabbits....

how long have you had them?

if longer than 4-5 days....I'd inform the breeder...but I wouldn't expect them to do anything about it. They don't know if you carried it on hay, clothing, shoes...anything. And that is possible unfortunately.

If less than 4-5 days then I'd inform the breeder and want a refund.

If I have to cull most or all, how soon can I get new breeders?

If it is that bad, and you have to CULL everyone
you can get new breeders once everything that those
rabbits came in contact with has been thoroughly
cleaned and sterilized. That's cages, feeders water-bottles,
and any tools used.

Latest posts

Back