to soon for the new comer

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
I just got a second breeding doe 4 days ago. Her name is Celine and i put her with the other breeding doe, sapphire. She wanted to mate really badly but Sapphire just sat there like "im a girl???" How long should I wait to breed her?

You should wait at least 30 days after getting a new rabbit to expose it to your other rabbits (including for breeding), so you can watch for any diseases and catch them before they can get to your other rabbits

she is two years old and is very healthy so I am not to conserned about diseases, but she has itchy eyes from the dust(she was indoor and now is outdoor) Her and my other breeding doe were n the rabbit run together for about 10 minutes and both were happy(though i watched just in case)

Many diseases, especially in rabbits, you cannot see. That's why we quarantine. The stress of a move can make the healthiest rabbit become quite ill, and by the time you see it, you may have infected, and effectively killed all of your rabbits.
Quarantine for 30 days, hard and fast rule, even when I bring home a rabbit from my best friend. Its worth it. Because its just not worth the risk to your other rabbits.
Although you've already put her in with another rabbit, I would remove her, and put her in quarantine. After 30 days, with no symptoms, including wet or gooky eyes (which can be a symptom of disease), then, you can introduce her to a buck if she is about 6 months of age.

Illness is not just that you are exposed to something or not. Sometimes deadly things have no impact on us because our immune system is doing well and sometimes bacteria we encounter daily could kill us if the immune system weakens. That is especially true with rabbits more so than most animals. Most healthy rabbits test positive as carriers of things that can cause respiratory illness so you don't even need a source of infection to have them fall ill and rabbits can come down with several things that are quite easy to bring home with you or they frequently encounter around them. When stressed they may be too weak to fight things they otherwise would. The same for when they are exposed to a larger than usual amount of a bacteria or virus so if the new one gets sick even from something your herd has already been exposed to it could overwhelm your current rabbits. Despite all rabbits appearing healthy for months prior you can end up with sick or even dead rabbits quite rapidly. A new rabbit may also not carry immunity to things your herd does and exposing them while they are still adjusting could cause them to get sick when they might not have shown symptoms after settled in and finishing any feed changes.

Itchy eyes are a potential sign of an illness overwhelming her immune system or at least of her immune system suffering more stress that could weaken it further even if it is something in the environment. Many respiratory illnesses are started by irritation from some debris or fumes in the environment with the bacteria or virus infection being secondary from common ones that are always around. You want to quarantine asap for any signs in at least new rabbits but often even with established rabbits people will separate them at the slightly snotty nose or irritated eyes until it's proven to be allergies or irritation that can be managed without leading to a contagious illness. It reduces how much your others are exposed to and hopefully if it turns out to be contagious the others were able to fight off any exposure they did get prior to quarantine.

Latest posts

Back