Needing advice about new kits.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny love

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a first time mommy French lop doe that kindled a litter of 12 kits last night, all alive and in a wonderful nest. I have all my rabbits in 12x12 foot runs that connect with each other. This afternoon when I came home and checked on them one had died. I assume it was heat related, because the temp. here in Bakersfield was 101 degrees, but I'm not sure. I have a few questions for you more experienced rabbit breeders. First let me say that I wasn't planning on breeding her until Sept. when the weather cooled off, but the grand kids didn't latch the gate and well you know the rest :evil: The first question. I have misters and a fan to help keep the bunny's cool. Is there anything else I can do to help them stay cool? Can I take some of the fur off of the top of them? I read that they will separate if they get too hot and they haven't done that. They are staying in a little pile. Also how likely is it that she will be able to care for the 11 remaining babies? I expect to lose some, but I'm hoping I don't lose them all. Thanks in advance. :)

You can take away some of the fur. From what Ive seen, kits will separate when they start to get too hot. It might just be that the one kit wasn't fit to survive; it might've had inherent problems, if only one of the 12 died and they were all exposed to the same heat. Either way, I would continue with the misters and fan to keep them cool. Once they get fur they'll be able to regulate temperature better.

Back